Default Charging the battery -- how long is okay?

Calif Bill wrote:
"BetaB4" wrote in message
motor. So, when I take the boat out and use the electric motor, I
need to recharge the battery when I get home.

Just use a cheap timer to charge the battery for 10-12 hours after you
return from fishing. The battery sitting unused will not discharge
much.

About using a timer..., if I use a timer and the timer turns off the power
to the battery charger when the time is up, the battery charger will still
be set to "ON" and it will still be connected to the battery. Is there any
problem with that?

Somehow, that seems like the battery charger circuit will still be connected
to the battery, and the battery will discharge back through the battery
charger. On the other hand, if the battery charger switch is set to "OFF",
and the battery charger is left connected to the battery, I assume that the
circuit between the battery and the battery charger is disconnected.

But, with the timer approach, there is no way to switch the battery charger
switch to the "OFF" position at the end of the pre-set elapsed time.

"BetaB4" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
"BetaB4" wrote in message
[...]

Never saw a problem with the charger I used. I very much doubt any dumb
charger has any difference from it being off and no power to the charger.

BetaB4 wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"BetaB4" wrote in message
[...]

There might be blocking diodes to prevent reverse current flow. Check
with the manufacturer or do your own experiment to see what happens.
Tim Tim is offline

On May 15, 1:49*pm, "BetaB4" wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"BetaB4" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, your battery charger has diodes in it (one way electrical
valves) that allow the current to flow to the battery but not back to
the charger. you shouldnt have any problem there.

On Wed, 13 May 2009 21:24:13 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On May 13, 2:24Â*pm, "BetaB4" wrote:
I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. Â*The charger
has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it okay for
me to leave the charger on? Â*My boat is in a garage at a location that I
usually only get to about once a week or so. Â*Is it okay if the charger is
left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

My question is this. Why do you feel you need a battery charger on the
boat? If the charging system is good and there is no electrical draw
(leakage) your boat battery should stay up for the whole summer. My
daughter has been in college all year and her 2003 Pontiac GrandAm has
sat for literally three months at a time, and has always started like
new.

I've got a '93 Grand Am and a '90 Corsica with parasitic draws.
The Corsica has be started at least every couple weeks to charge
up, and the Grand Am is good for at least a month.
Not a big enough deal for me to find out what's wrong.

--Vic

On May 14, 11:54*am, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009 21:24:13 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

On May 13, 2:24*pm, "BetaB4" wrote:
I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. *The charger
has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it okay for
me to leave the charger on? *My boat is in a garage at a location that I
usually only get to about once a week or so. *Is it okay if the charger is
left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

My question is this. Why do you feel you need a battery charger on the
boat? *If the charging system is good and there is no electrical draw
(leakage) your boat battery should stay up for the whole summer. My
daughter has been in college all year and her 2003 Pontiac GrandAm has
sat for literally three months at a time, and has always started like
new.

I've got a '93 Grand Am and a '90 Corsica with parasitic draws.
The Corsica has be started at least every couple weeks to charge
up, and the Grand Am is good for at least a month.
Not a big enough deal for me to find out what's wrong.

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Usually, nothing is wrong. Modern cars with computers have a small
draw for things like the stereo, electric seat memory, clock,
computer, etc.

Thanks all.

Based on what everyone wrote, I've been looking for an "automatic" battery
charger. I checked Harbor Freight and one person suggested.

Here's the instruction manual for one Harbor Freight battery charger:

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...6999/66783.pdf

On Pages 8 and 9 of the manual, it talks about not leaving the charger on
and the possibility of the battery overheating with the charger on. So, I'm
a little confused. Does the automatic shutoff actually work or not?

"BetaB4" wrote in message
I have a battery charger for charging the 12-volt boat battery. The
charger has two settings -- 2 amps or 6 amps.

My question is, if I have the charger set at 2 amps, how long is it okay
for me to leave the charger on? My boat is in a garage at a location that
I usually only get to about once a week or so. Is it okay if the charger
is left on at the 2-amp setting for say, a week?

Gene wrote:

Cutting to the chase.... it *should*, no, rather, it MUST. Harbor
Freight sells cheap crap made overseas. Put some money into this thing
and do it right.

A charger should charge at a minimum of three rates:

1) Bulk Phase - maybe at 40-80 amps until the battery is charged to
about 75% of full charge.

2) Acceptance Phase - battery voltage is maintained at 14.4V and the
amperage is reduced. That should charge the remaining 25% of the
battery.

3) Float Phase - (and this directly addresses your question) voltage
is reduced to 13.3V. This will maintain the battery without boiling
off the electrolyte.

The best chargers employ an equalization phase.

Here is some worthwhile reading material:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...ryCharging.htm

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Thanks. That's all good information. Now the question is where to find the
right kind of charger. So far, when I look at what is for sale in stores,
the information is cryptic. I can't quite tell what it means -- just like
the Harbor Freight battery manual is vague about how it works, whether it
will shut off, etc.

I know this can't be all that complicated to figure out. I guess I'll just
keep shopping until I see what looks right.

HK HK is offline

Default Gene: Battery Clips?

Gene -

Any ideas where I can find a pair of *quality* battery clips to attach
to my existing battery charger? Probably 12 gauge wire to the charger,
need oversized clips to attach to the battery lugs. I've about exhausted
the hardware/electrical outlets in this area.

Thanks...hk

Long sidtance battery charging Hobbs Cruising 11 October 24th 06 09:18 PM
Battery charging John W. Bienko ASA 29 June 5th 06 10:26 PM
Battery charging Thom Stewart ASA 0 June 4th 06 04:41 AM
Battery charging, have I got this right? Stephen Trapani Cruising 10 March 26th 06 08:41 AM
Battery charging Michael Remski General 11 October 11th 03 01:11 AM