Default The feel of weather helm on the tiller

Took my little homebuilt 12' MiniCup sailboat to the lake today in
maybe 12 kt wind. She has a HUGE lateen sail so in this kind of wind
she is like a rocket. It is a wonderful feeling to have to really
pull on the tiller as she tries to round her bow into the wind heeled
over so far the water is sloshing into the cockpit. My homemade
polytarp sail sewn on my wifes sewing machine was as taut as a drum
and when I looked up the aluminum spars were actually bending a
little. Looking behind, she is throwing an amazing wake. I actually
had to push the tiller back and forth to be able to keep her upright
allowing her to heel almost too far and then pointing her a little
more toward the wind to reduce the heel. Even the newly reinforced
tiller box is bending under the strain. The best part of it all is
that it is perfectly safe. If she turns over, I can easily right
her. If she actually collapses under the strain, it is an easy swim
to shore. She cost me hardly anything so if she gets damaged by too
much wind, it's no big deal. A wonderful way to spend 3 hours.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

My sailboat went fastest when it was sailed flatter.
The trick was to 'reef' the main and genoa if necessary.

On May 2, 9:36*pm, "Don White" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

Flatter is faster is generally true. However, I do not yet have a way
to reef my lateen sail although my next homemade lateen sail will have
it.

odd helm Jim General 35 June 4th 08 07:44 PM
Weather Helm Matt General 7 January 23rd 07 12:46 AM
The Better Helm Capt. Rob ASA 7 July 10th 06 07:04 PM
NW Weather; Local Weather Station Thom Stewart ASA 1 April 10th 06 10:12 PM
Ocean weather router / weather routing Bob Cook Cruising 0 August 13th 03 09:11 PM