Default battery question

Hi. We just bought a new Bayliner 175 and put her in the water for the
first time the other day. The battery was dead (and bad, it turns
out), although I had started the boat the night before our trip. No
matter. We pulled the boat out and had Advance Auto Parts install a
new battery. Worked fine and we had a good day, except I noticed later
that the battery is a marine *deep cycle* rather than a standard
marine battery. I've heard deep cycles aren't really intended for
engine starting; what do you all think? Should I get a marine starting
battery or just live with what I have. Thanks.

-- david
Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 26, 2:00*pm, david wrote:
Hi. We just bought a new Bayliner 175 and put her in the water for the
first time the other day. The battery was dead (and bad, it turns
out), although I had started the boat the night before our trip. No
matter. We pulled the boat out and had Advance Auto Parts install a
new battery. Worked fine and we had a good day, except I noticed later
that the battery is a marine *deep cycle* rather than a standard
marine battery. I've heard deep cycles aren't really intended for
engine starting; what do you all think? Should I get a marine starting
battery or just live with what I have. Thanks.

-- david

Well, the parts store probably thought that because it was going in a
"marine" application, then it should have a "marine-deep cycle"
battery. I wouldn't worry about it. deep cycle batteries are made to
be discharged (like trolling motor use) and recharged slowly. BUT, I
don't' think you'll have much to worry about. I hade a '75 Pontiac
GrandVille sedan (road boat) and had about every electrical option you
could get at the time. the car battery died, I mean... just quit!

and I had to get going, so I pulled the Sears DieHard deep cycle
battery out of my Chris Craft, and put it in the car. It served
faithfully for the next two years, till I got rid of the car.

"david" wrote in message
Hi. We just bought a new Bayliner 175 and put her in the water for the
first time the other day. The battery was dead (and bad, it turns
out), although I had started the boat the night before our trip. No
matter. We pulled the boat out and had Advance Auto Parts install a
new battery. Worked fine and we had a good day, except I noticed later
that the battery is a marine *deep cycle* rather than a standard
marine battery. I've heard deep cycles aren't really intended for
engine starting; what do you all think? Should I get a marine starting
battery or just live with what I have. Thanks.

-- david

Wonder if you have a true Marine Deep Cycle battery or the combo type Marine
Deep Cycle/Starting battery?
If the former, I'd be concerned...they aren't designed for the large outpit
needed to crank a large engine.
http://www.magnacharge.com/mchg_all....20Deep%20Cycle

http://www.rollsbattery.com/#

Don White wrote:
"david" wrote in message
[...]

Bayliner 175 with a Large engine? Donny, stick to beer fetchin for yur
kid and leave the boating advice to folks who know a little bit about boats.

"jim78565" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
"david" wrote in message
[...]

Well numbnuts...I'm sure it has a bigger engine than your dinghy... hold
on..you don't even have a boat, do you?

Don White wrote:
"jim78565" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
"david" wrote in message
[...]

Donny,
Before you let your pie hole emit more ignorance, here's a link to the
boat in question. Let's see if you are capable of learning anything.

http://www.bayliner.com/bowriders.asp?modelid=78825

Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 26, 2:33*pm, "Don White" wrote:
"david" wrote in message

[...]

I'd say it probably has a 4.6 GM /v-6. Maybe a 3.0 /4 cyl. But I 'm
not sure if the 3.0 is still in standard production or not.

anyhow, the Deep Cycle battery I had in my Pontiac had no problem
cranking over the 455 c.i.d. regardless of weather.

"jim78565" wrote in message
http://www.bayliner.com/bowriders.asp?modelid=78825

So...it's a 135hp MerCruiser.
I suppose that's nothing to a big time operator like you.
~~ Snerk ~~

Battery Question Tim General 6 March 9th 08 02:31 PM
Another battery question Jim Woodard Cruising 6 March 9th 04 01:47 AM
Battery question Belgian Cruising 11 March 6th 04 07:01 PM
Battery question me Boat Building 5 January 7th 04 12:38 AM
Battery Question Bobsprit ASA 3 October 25th 03 03:23 AM