Default In mem'ry o' a grate 'merican

http://reason.com/blog/show/132324.html

Reminds me of a friend o mine, a redneck who used to put gold coatings
on my x-ray mirrors till he got a l'il bit racist and I had to end the
bizness relationship. This guy actually lives in a place called
Coonbottom, don't even have a high school education but somehow
managed to put together a hi tek vacuum coating business in an old
barn behind his house. He makes all the replacements for all those
curved mirrors you see above your head when you go to the dentist.
He told me, there's roughly 40,000 dentists in the usa, each has about
10 of them mirrors and they last 5 years, replacement from OEM is
about $400, he sells em for $250, do the math. He wont tell me how he
learned how to do it, just says he prayed a lot, like hell. He
actually had his vacuum chambers made by a local company that rolls
metal for silos and welded by a local guy he paid on the side. Its
all electron beam evaporation of SiO and TiN, truly amazing for an
unedicated redneck. Ev'ry time I go out there and see goats running
round dead tractor parts and then walk into his barn its like "This
dont add up". This guy makes enough money to own his own Aerostar
twin engine plane AND a rebuilt Stearman biplane AND an old Aeronica
Champ plane. He flies em off his own property too.

One day he told me about his dad who was a notorious moonshiner from
Cairo, GA. They had a place with a mother-in-law apt about 100 yds
from his house. The still was under the slab of the mom-in-law apt
with pipes running to the main house. H said that behind moms washer
in the basement there was extra faucets but they dispensed shine.
Later, he had a still on a flat bed truck which he'd pay farmers to
allow him to park at the back of their property. Sherriff seized it
somehow, he continued to use by bribing the deputies to allow him to
use it in the impoundment lot. He got tired of bribing the deputies
and plotted successfully to steal it back. He arranged an "accident"
with a gasoline tanker on US 319 from Tallahassee to Thomasville, GA.
With all the deputies tied up, he stole it back. Finally, his dad got
stopped by GA state trooper on 319 for somethign unrelated, got ****ed
and punched out the trooper and went to prison for it.
My friend apparently doesnt fall far from the tree. One day I went to
pick up some mirrors from him. Got out of my truck and heard machine
guns so close I automatically dropped to the ground. He comes out and
tells me he has bought some guns, all legal he says, suuuuuuuuure I
think. he had 6 Chinese AK47s in wooden cases all packed in cosmoline
with drums to hold lots of rounds. He had two pallets covered with
blue tarps, TWO PALLETS OF AMMO, Him and his buddies were wastign
trash cans at the end of his grass runway. A month later I asked him
about the guns, he laughed and told me he got bored and sold em
although he dis say he buried two in PVC on his
property........................... This was at least 10 yrs ago.
His racism eventually got to be too much for me and I ended the
relationship. Last month, I ran into him in West Marine. I jokingly
told him that I expected that with Obama he'd be digging up his guns,
he said nothing, who knows.
HK HK is offline

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

A racist who apparently broke federal firearms laws, was involved in
illegal liquor manufacture, staged accidents and bribed cops?

Yeah...sounds like a "grate 'merican."

On Mar 20, 9:42 pm, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Harry, no, not my friend but the guy from the link.

On Mar 20, 9:28*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

.....doesn't own a boat, though......

On Mar 20, 9:52 pm, wrote:
[...]

My friend DID own a ski boat but was a real tightwad about getting it
fixed so he never used it much although I DID see him in West Marine.

Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 20, 8:42*pm, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the Kennedy family to me....

?;^ )

"HK" wrote in message
m...
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

What Federal firearms law. Pay your $200 permit fee and if Fully auto
weapons are state legal, so are you.

HK HK is offline

CalifBill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
m...
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

There's a bit more to it than paying the fee, and it is a federal fee.

From the tale told in the anecdote, the fellow in question was not
likely to be paying federal fees on a half dozen full auto AKs.

On Mar 20, 9:42*pm, HK wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Yeah...sounds like a "grate 'merican."- Hide quoted text -

Could you possibly be any more of an asshole? Ever wonder why NO ONE
likes you?
HK HK is offline

Calif Bill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
m...
CalifBill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
m...
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

From the tale told in the anecdote, the fellow in question was not likely
to be paying federal fees on a half dozen full auto AKs.

Most likely the guy paid the fees. He is a rich, racist redneck, not
stupid. And there is not much more to owning a fully auto than paying the
Federal fee and having the state allow fully auto. Nevada, you can own a
machine gun, California no.

Uh...for the federal transfer:

you have to be a U.S. citizen.
at least 21 years old
sane (well, that excludes some)
non-abuser of drugs or booze
no felony convictions
fill out BATA Form 4, which incorporates
a signing-off by your local chief of police
or sheriff attesting he has no knowledge you have
anything illegal in mind
submit fingerprints and photos with application
pay $200 fee.

$$%%^ 'merican boat trailer Don White General 48 November 19th 07 03:30 AM
Teak shower grate: Varhished or unfinished? RW Salnick Boat Building 9 November 30th 06 04:32 PM
'Merican Beer... Overproof ASA 62 December 9th 04 02:04 AM
Teak cockpit grate Gerald Atkin Cruising 9 November 10th 04 12:10 AM