Default Circuit City Kaput

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 19:31:45 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Jan 18, 10:16*pm, hk wrote:

http://www.idesigns.net

A real business, no Lobsta' boats or cut and paste here *snerk

Not likely: *"Scott is a marketing advisor and also
handles the testing of new features
and software, though a boat builder
by trade. In his spare time he can be
found designing, building, and testing
his boats."

God help your "clients."

Tried your helpdesk and knowledge base, got this:

Welcome to helpdesk.idesigns.net
This site is under Re-Construction
Please come back again soon!

Who designed your webpage? A kid with a box of crayolas?

Pfffttt. we missed on link, but of course there is a hundred other
links on the site to the same place..

So much for your "software testing" abilities, eh?

Anyway, go back to your plug and
play ram installation. I still would run circles around you any day...
Now go back to your plug and play ram installation..

Well, I agree that you have a lot more experience running in circles.
The question is, what will you do with your tail when you catch it?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:40:11 -0500, hk wrote:

wrote:
On Jan 18, 10:16 pm, hk wrote:

http://www.idesigns.net
A real business, no Lobsta' boats or cut and paste here snerk
Not likely: "Scott is a marketing advisor and also
handles the testing of new features
and software, though a boat builder
by trade. In his spare time he can be
found designing, building, and testing
his boats."

God help your "clients."

Tried your helpdesk and knowledge base, got this:

Welcome to helpdesk.idesigns.net
This site is under Re-Construction
Please come back again soon!

Who designed your webpage? A kid with a box of crayolas?

Pfffttt. we missed on link, but of course there is a hundred other
links on the site to the same place.. Anyway, go back to your plug and
play ram installation. I still would run circles around you any day...
Now go back to your plug and play ram installation..

I got that same error message on more than one link. And there is still
no evidence here you know squat about computers or networking. The sorts
of problems and questions you have brought up here indicate the opposite.

At best, his wife is a CNA, which is barely an entry level
certifcation. That cert appears to be at least 10 years old, so it's
worthless anyway. Scotty is a hanger-on. The business would be doing
just as well without him.

wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:04:07 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

First disk drives I worked on were 5 platter, 14" 5 mbyte units.

2311s? They were the 360 version of the 1401 era 1311. Same basic pack
but double density,

I was an NCR guy. Our own drives. We replaced a 360 ,mod 20 at Macys with
an NCR 315 system. The Mod 20 had paper tape and card input and printer
output. No mag files. Just an expensive Tab system.

wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:26:26 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:03:40 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

I was an NCR guy. Our own drives. We replaced a 360 ,mod 20 at Macys
with
an NCR 315 system. The Mod 20 had paper tape and card input and printer
output. No mag files. Just an expensive Tab system.

Were they hydraulic too or had you migrated to the voice coil system
by then?
I know some companies just rebadged our drives (Control Data springs
to mind)
If you were around mod 20s you know what MFCM really means ;-)

They were voice coils. We did not go hydraulic for a couple years. We
actually designed one of first disk drives. Our idiot leaders went into a
joint venture with CDC and they took the disk drives and we took printers.
Bad deal from all the FE's view point. We saw disk drives to be the
better
product line in the future. Later when I left NCR, I went to Itel and
worked on the channel diagnostics for our Siemens clone of the IBM 3800
printer. We used a DEC 11/34 as the channel controller to the printer and
since we had to run IBM diags cleanly, I disassembled the code and found
the
hidden channel codes that were sent and what was expected back. Still
probably the most fun job I had. Great people in the team and great
company
to work for. We connected to a 33xx clone from Hitachi.

IBM started with hydraulics in disk drives(305 through 2314) and in
high speed printers (1403), then changed to the voice coil disk drive
(33xx and up) and servo or stepper motor printers (3211 and beyond).
I spent a lot of time with 3800s in the 80s. We had 35 of them in my
office and over 70 in the DC metro area. It was pretty much where I
spent most of my time. By then CPUs were not really breaking and we
didn't have any check sorters.
Back in the days when CPUs broke I had a chance to work with Itel
guys.
I worked midnights and nobody was around to enforce the rules about
not assisting if a 3d party was present. I remember one of those "6
vendor" nights tracking down a channel bug with the Itel guy stepping
microcode on his AS/5 and me shadowing him on my 3158. If there was
ever a chance for them to say they didn't steal our stuff it went away
that night. We were just calling out stop words back and forth with
each of us alternating which one we looked up. The I/O vendors were
acknowledging they got that far. We ended up nailing the T-bar switch
guy to the wall.

My move to Florida changed all of that. We had the C&S data center
here in Ft Myers. 3800s and 3890s.
This was a resident territory so we worked on everything here and I
really had the most fun with point of sale stuff. Wendys ended up
rolling out their new PC based registers in Naples because they liked
our operation (I had also worked on the Burger King rollout).
We invented the hot swap procedure for printers on the old 3684
systems in my shop and had the only field rebuild program in the
country. A 3684 was my first woodie, before I started making wood case
PCs. We had a clone of a Wendy's store in our shop to test things. (2
registers). I even got to meet Dave on rollout night. Wendys gave me
one of the new registers to play with in the shop.
\

Fun days. NCR paid for part of my university tuition with a tuition refund
plan. About 50% total as they did not cover books. And state university
tuition was between $125 and $250 a semester. I worked on the NCR 315 and
Century systems and the 420 Optical scanner. That scanner pretty much paid
for my house. After my degree, I was the liaison to Montgomery Wards in the
west. Still took care of the scanner as there were 2 of in the US who could
really fix the machine. Me and a guy in Chicago. But I decided where the
problems were with the POS systems. Store, Data Center, or in between.
Finally got fed up with the service manager in San Francisco with his BS and
took a huge raise to go to Itel. Then the H systems killed us and the
residual value of our leases and they laid off 2300 of us. Went to several
startups over the years. Screwed up in Feb 1980. Took a job in designing
disk drive controllers for DEC systems supplier company and turned down the
same salary 1.5 hours later for Rolm Corp. As I had already agreed to the
first job. I figure that 1.5 hours cost me $100,000,000. Neighbor went
from Rolm to another startup in the comm industry and then to Cisco as the
VP. He cashed out $240 million after taxes.

Baja Boats Kaput? HK General 21 April 9th 08 10:45 PM
Albin Marine kaput HK General 4 November 9th 07 05:08 PM
circuit simulator [email protected] Cruising 0 March 11th 05 07:43 PM
Circuit for strobe (UK) Mike C Electronics 10 December 26th 03 01:58 PM