Mike C

Default Circuit for strobe (UK)

Folks,

I'm looking for a strobe circuit that will
1) run from 12 Volts
2) drive a high-power flash
3) flash from once to twice per scond

The idea is to put it at the top of the mast of a cruising boat to be
switched on in 'desperate times'.

If anybody can help out with info, I'd be most appreciative. I just tried
to order one from an American company, but they only send to USA, Mexico and
Canada!

Thanks,

MikeC

--
WARNING: My e-mail return address is bogus to confuse the automated spam
address gatherers.

Jim B

"Mike C" wrote in message

I'm looking for a strobe circuit that will
1) run from 12 Volts
2) drive a high-power flash
3) flash from once to twice per scond

The idea is to put it at the top of the mast of a cruising boat to be
switched on in 'desperate times'.

So, you're either a hovercraft or a trawler engaged in pair trawling?

Or is it a blue light for a police vessel on inland waters?
--
Jim B, Yacht RAPAZ,
Sadly, for sale:

Ric

"Jim B" wrote in message
news
So, you're either a hovercraft or a trawler engaged in pair trawling?

Whilst not strictly in the rules, they are quite useful. I have one that was
an anti-collision light on a light-aircraft, and it shows up even in day.

Dennis Pogson

"Mike C" wrote in message
Folks,

I'm looking for a strobe circuit that will
1) run from 12 Volts
2) drive a high-power flash
3) flash from once to twice per scond

The idea is to put it at the top of the mast of a cruising boat to be
switched on in 'desperate times'.

If anybody can help out with info, I'd be most appreciative. I just tried
to order one from an American company, but they only send to USA, Mexico

and
Canada!

Thanks,

MikeC

--
WARNING: My e-mail return address is bogus to confuse the automated spam
address gatherers.
Mental decryption required:
mikabel#ntlworld*com
where * = 'dot' and # = 'at'

I have an old 12 volt strobe from RS Components, the electrical supplies
company and the ref. no. is 565-440. It happens to be orange, but I would
think the glass is interchangeable.

Try http://rswww.com/

Remove "nospam" from return address.

Klaus

Dennis Pogson wrote:

I have an old 12 volt strobe from RS Components, the electrical supplies
company and the ref. no. is 565-440. It happens to be orange, but I would
think the glass is interchangeable.

Try http://rswww.com/

Remove "nospam" from return address.

I used this 12V strobe from RS. Took the flash tube out and mounted it inside
the clear anchor light so that it did not obstruct the light bulb already in
there.
The electronics from the strobe were re housed in a PVC tube with end caps and
the lot was fitted just under the anchor light inside the mast. 3 wires led
down from this, common , anchor light , strobe. Since there would never be both
lights on a single common wire was sufficient and a 3 core mains cable could be
used to run inside the mast.
Klaus

Mike C

To all except Jim B, many thanks for your helpful suggestions. I'll look up
the reference with RS components and see how it looks.

To Jim B - if ever this light has to be used, it isn't likely to be anywhere
near to shore, and I won't care what people think I am, just as long as they
notice me!

Mike.

"Mike C" wrote in message
Folks,

I'm looking for a strobe circuit that will
1) run from 12 Volts
2) drive a high-power flash
3) flash from once to twice per scond

The idea is to put it at the top of the mast of a cruising boat to be
switched on in 'desperate times'.

If anybody can help out with info, I'd be most appreciative. I just tried
to order one from an American company, but they only send to USA, Mexico

and
Canada!

Thanks,

MikeC

--
WARNING: My e-mail return address is bogus to confuse the automated spam
address gatherers.
Mental decryption required:
mikabel#ntlworld*com
where * = 'dot' and # = 'at'

Jim B

To Jim B - if ever this light has to be used, it isn't likely to be
anywhere
near to shore, and I won't care what people think I am, just as long as

they
notice me!

Mike.

Nothing to do with being near the shore.

It's in the colregs actually, Mike. Strobes are permitted for Hovercraft and
pair trawlers exclusively! Though I take your point about being visible, the
most appropriate (colregs) signal is a bright white light, which has to be
avoided in all situations (ie; the attacking - sorry - approaching - vessel
is overtaking - seeing a stern light, or it's seeing a vessel at anchor).
Which is why so many sailors worried about the possibility of collision
correctly carry a 'steamer scarer' - a white flare - for use in panic
situations.

Seeing a strobe light for most motor vessels says that they're looking at a
fast moving vessel (hovercraft) which will avoid them irrespective of the
colregs - because it's so mobile. Or, if they see two of them, they suspect
they're connected and going between would be dangerous to someone. Of
course, some watchkeepers just have puzzled expressions on their faces as
they search for other lights to tell them what's what.

If you disagree with the existing colregs, on the grounds that they're
inappropriate or inadequate, then drop a line to the RYA or the Cruising
Association and suggest the change. Meanwhile, do your own thing. But be
aware that in any post-collision enquiry you'd have a problem supporting
your insurance claim.

If your judgement is that a collision is less likely with a strobe - by all
means pursue that route. Perhaps have a chat with your insurance company
first - or perhaps don't tell them. Your choice. But a strobe is outside the
current law except - (which is where we came in).

Have fun sailing. Just trying to help.
--
Jim B, Yacht RAPAZ,
Sadly, for sale:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim.bae...cification.htm
jim[dot]baerselman[at]ntlworld[dot]com .

Mike C

My apolgies, Jim B, and thank you for your considered response.
The strobe is not, in fact, for me, but for my brother who is intending to
set sail across the Atlantic from the Cape coast of South Africa sometime
during the coming year. I'll pass your message on to him.

Regards,

Mike C.

"Jim B" wrote in message
[...]

Rob

Mike,

Aqua Signal make exactly the light you are after - see this link:

www.busse-yachtshop.de/pdf/aqua-ser40-24u25.pdf

I've just picked one up at a boat jumble.
And strobe lights are used in the Blue Flag board on inland waterways in Europe.
Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:54:55 -0000, "Mike C"
wrote:

To all except Jim B, many thanks for your helpful suggestions. I'll look up
the reference with RS components and see how it looks.

To Jim B - if ever this light has to be used, it isn't likely to be anywhere
near to shore, and I won't care what people think I am, just as long as they
notice me!

Mike.

Mike if you REALLY want to get their attention with a light, get one
of these 3,000,000 candle power 12V halogen beam lights and play it
across their bridge. Even in daylight it is BLINDINGLY BRILLIANT if
pointed right at you from miles away. There's no way they can ignore
you if you play the light across their portholes unless a blind man is
at the helm......

Of course, it might **** 'em off, but it's better to be ****ed off
than ****ed ON. (Americans don't get ****ed like you do in a
pub...(c