hk hk is offline

Default 2 Dead in Va Beach Boat Mishap

2 dead, 4 rescued in Va. bay after boat capsizes

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) – Coast Guard officials say two people died and
four were rescued after their 18-foot boat capsized Wednesday in cold
and choppy waters on the Chesapeake Bay.

Coast Guard spokesman Brian Neilan says a Coast Guard helicopter and
boat, along with local rescuers, responded to a distress call near the
Lesner Bridge in Virginia Beach shortly before 9 a.m. Wednesday.

Neilan says the four survivors showed signs of minor hypothermia after
being pulled from the water. They were taken to local hospitals.

Authorities are investigating the incident.

The National Weather Service reported the water temperature was 46
degrees at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. It also issued a
small-craft advisory, with waves up to five feet high and strong winds.

- - -

No offense to the victims here, but you really have to be stupid to head
out in winter weather during a small-craft advisory in an 18-foot boat.
They probably were planning to fish at the CBBT. I've done that in the
winter, too, but in a 46-foot charter boat with twin diesels and a
heated cabin. I doubt the captain of the charter boat wold have headed
out in five foot seas.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 14, 11:50*am, hk wrote:
[...]

Especially 6 people in an 18 ft. tub. 3 ft'rs would be too much for
that load.

i feel sorry for them to the degree that they lost life.

But yes, that was pretty ignorant planning on their part.

hk wrote:

[...]

Five footers are nothing for a 46' boat. They may draw the line at 8'
or so depending on the wave pattern.
hk hk is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:50:12 -0500, hk penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|2 dead, 4 rescued in Va. bay after boat capsizes
|

|VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) – Coast Guard officials say two people died and
|four were rescued after their 18-foot boat capsized Wednesday in cold
|and choppy waters on the Chesapeake Bay.
|
|Coast Guard spokesman Brian Neilan says a Coast Guard helicopter and
|boat, along with local rescuers, responded to a distress call near the
|Lesner Bridge in Virginia Beach shortly before 9 a.m. Wednesday.
|
|Neilan says the four survivors showed signs of minor hypothermia after
|being pulled from the water. They were taken to local hospitals.
|
|Authorities are investigating the incident.
|
|The National Weather Service reported the water temperature was 46
|degrees at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. It also issued a
|small-craft advisory, with waves up to five feet high and strong winds.

|- - -

|No offense to the victims here, but you really have to be stupid to head
|out in winter weather during a small-craft advisory in an 18-foot boat.
|They probably were planning to fish at the CBBT. I've done that in the
|winter, too, but in a 46-foot charter boat with twin diesels and a
|heated cabin. I doubt the captain of the charter boat would have headed
|out in five foot seas.

The only thing I can think to add is:

http://tinyurl.com/7cmbkx

and to note that the items are out of stock due to demand... maybe the
word is getting around!

I wonder why anyone would *want* to go out fishing in cold weather in
five foot seas in a very small boat. I wouldn't even fish from a safe,
solid on-shore position in such conditions. If you need fish that
urgently, stop by the seafood department of your local grocery store.
Senior Member

--
Agent 5.00 Build 1165

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepagehttp://pamandgene.idleplay.net/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

-----------------www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com- *Completion*Retention*Speed*
-----------------

$450 is not to bad when you consider the alternative.. Do these things
work if you get in after you are in the water, or do you need to have
it on when you go in?

hk hk is offline

wrote:
On Jan 15, 8:33 am, Gene Kearns
wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:50:12 -0500, hk penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|2 dead, 4 rescued in Va. bay after boat capsizes
|

|VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) – Coast Guard officials say two people died and
|four were rescued after their 18-foot boat capsized Wednesday in cold
|and choppy waters on the Chesapeake Bay.
|
|Coast Guard spokesman Brian Neilan says a Coast Guard helicopter and
|boat, along with local rescuers, responded to a distress call near the
|Lesner Bridge in Virginia Beach shortly before 9 a.m. Wednesday.
|
|Neilan says the four survivors showed signs of minor hypothermia after
|being pulled from the water. They were taken to local hospitals.
|
|Authorities are investigating the incident.
|
|The National Weather Service reported the water temperature was 46
|degrees at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. It also issued a
|small-craft advisory, with waves up to five feet high and strong winds.

|- - -

|No offense to the victims here, but you really have to be stupid to head
|out in winter weather during a small-craft advisory in an 18-foot boat.
|They probably were planning to fish at the CBBT. I've done that in the
|winter, too, but in a 46-foot charter boat with twin diesels and a
|heated cabin. I doubt the captain of the charter boat wold have headed
|out in five foot seas.

The only thing I can think to add is:

http://tinyurl.com/7cmbkx

and to note that the items are out of stock due to demand... maybe the
word is getting around!

--
Agent 5.00 Build 1165

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepagehttp://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

-----------------www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com- *Completion*Retention*Speed*
-----------------

$450 is not to bad when you consider the alternative.. Do these things
work if you get in after you are in the water, or do you need to have
it on when you go in?

It would be seriously difficult to put on an immersion suit if you are
already in the water.

It also would be pretty difficult to fish from an open 18' small boat if
you are wearing an immersion suit.
hk hk is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:39:38 -0500, hk penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Gene Kearns wrote:
| On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:50:12 -0500, hk penned the following well
| considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

| |
| |2 dead, 4 rescued in Va. bay after boat capsizes
| |
| |
| |VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) – Coast Guard officials say two people died and
| |four were rescued after their 18-foot boat capsized Wednesday in cold
| |and choppy waters on the Chesapeake Bay.
| |
| |Coast Guard spokesman Brian Neilan says a Coast Guard helicopter and
| |boat, along with local rescuers, responded to a distress call near the
| |Lesner Bridge in Virginia Beach shortly before 9 a.m. Wednesday.
| |
| |Neilan says the four survivors showed signs of minor hypothermia after
| |being pulled from the water. They were taken to local hospitals.
| |
| |Authorities are investigating the incident.
| |
| |The National Weather Service reported the water temperature was 46
| |degrees at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. It also issued a
| |small-craft advisory, with waves up to five feet high and strong winds.
| |
| |- - -
| |
| |No offense to the victims here, but you really have to be stupid to head
| |out in winter weather during a small-craft advisory in an 18-foot boat.
| |They probably were planning to fish at the CBBT. I've done that in the
| |winter, too, but in a 46-foot charter boat with twin diesels and a
| |heated cabin. I doubt the captain of the charter boat would have headed
| |out in five foot seas.
|

| The only thing I can think to add is:
|
| http://tinyurl.com/7cmbkx
|
| and to note that the items are out of stock due to demand... maybe the
| word is getting around!
|

|I wonder why anyone would *want* to go out fishing in cold weather in
|five foot seas in a very small boat. I wouldn't even fish from a safe,
|solid on-shore position in such conditions. If you need fish that
|urgently, stop by the seafood department of your local grocery store.

Where the hell is your sense of adventure???? :-)

Hey, I wouldn't step on Superman's cape, either.