Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Senior Member

Default Multi-tool.

I am posting this from a bike group I go to.. Maybe you guys can make
a good suggestion and I can pass it along..

SNIP
OT, but I figure some of the regulars in this group are the type to
carry and use multitools. I'm looking to get one that has a solid
set
of pliers that don't shimmy side to side when twisting things, with
at
least the basics for additional tools (screwdrivers, knife, etc).
It'll be for boating use as well as on the dirt bike, so I don't
really like the designs that have separate drivers for the
screwdriver
part, since I could see losing one in rough seas, and wouldn't want
to be fiddling with getting out the proper bit and inserting it into
the tool while on the cabintop of a rocking boat.

The best thing I found hope for in my research was a Kershaw
multitool, but it's been discontinued. My everyday pocket knife is a
Kershaw 1550, and it's a great, great knife. Very well built, going
strong after years of tough use and conditions, and has a lifetime
warranty behind it if it ever does flake out on me.

Any multitools I've used have done many things poorly. I'd like to
find one that does a few things well, with a special focus on the
pliers. This (along with my satisfaction with their other products)
is why i liked the looks of the Kershaw so much - the pliers were not
retractable and as such were supposedly much stiffer than your
average
multitool. They were also locking like vice grips, but that part I
can do without.

Also, I know that leatherman and gerber made much better stuff 10+
years ago than they do today, with ownership changes and lowered
standards, etc. I'm looking for advice on a good multitool I can buy
at the store in '09, not what was a great tool back in the 80's when
tools were commonly made to be used.

So, if you carry something along these lines and are happy with it,
please tell me what and why.

/SNIP

Thanks, Scotty

Handy Calculator Tool Online - Very useful tool EngineerEDGE Boat Building 0 February 29th 08 03:00 PM
Favorite Multi-tool Bill ASA 14 April 18th 07 04:47 AM
Multi Boat Sale Jim Forbes General 1 January 13th 05 04:40 AM
Multi Boat Sale Jim Forbes Whitewater 0 January 12th 05 09:58 PM
seeking an ST-50 Multi - Electronics 1 June 7th 04 02:13 PM