BoatBanter.com

-   -   Bimini top brackets (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/101275-bimini-top-brackets.html)

John H[_8_] January 4th 09 01:43 PM

Bimini top brackets

The bimini top on my Key West uses a mounting like this"

http://tinyurl.com/9ozwsy

This bracket allows the frame member mounted therein to rotate from front
to back without placing undue stress on the mounting screws. Note, I said
screws, not through bolts.

However when underway, even slowly, or just at anchor with a small amount
of ripple in the water, the bimini top sways from side to side. The side to
side motion gets transmitted directly to the screws in the brackets, and
causes them to loosen. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they
strip or worse.

I'm wondering if there aren't some fittings made that would have a ball
socket or some such to allow complete forward and back movement *and* some
degree of lateral movement.

Anyone know of such a thing? Help!

Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.[_3_] January 4th 09 01:51 PM

Bimini top brackets

John H wrote:
The bimini top on my Key West uses a mounting like this"

http://tinyurl.com/9ozwsy

This bracket allows the frame member mounted therein to rotate from front
to back without placing undue stress on the mounting screws. Note, I said
screws, not through bolts.

However when underway, even slowly, or just at anchor with a small amount
of ripple in the water, the bimini top sways from side to side. The side to
side motion gets transmitted directly to the screws in the brackets, and
causes them to loosen. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they
strip or worse.

I'm wondering if there aren't some fittings made that would have a ball
socket or some such to allow complete forward and back movement *and* some
degree of lateral movement.

Anyone know of such a thing? Help!

Is there a way to replace the screws with bolts and a backing plate?
The current screw allows side to side motion, and some of the motion is
absorbed by spring. If you had a bracket that did not allow side to
side motion, the fiberglass and screw would be taking all the stress
directly and would actually strip quicker. Or at least that is my
story, and I am sticking to it.

Jim January 4th 09 02:01 PM

Bimini top brackets

John H wrote:
The bimini top on my Key West uses a mounting like this"

http://tinyurl.com/9ozwsy

This bracket allows the frame member mounted therein to rotate from front
to back without placing undue stress on the mounting screws. Note, I said
screws, not through bolts.

However when underway, even slowly, or just at anchor with a small amount
of ripple in the water, the bimini top sways from side to side. The side to
side motion gets transmitted directly to the screws in the brackets, and
causes them to loosen. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they
strip or worse.

I'm wondering if there aren't some fittings made that would have a ball
socket or some such to allow complete forward and back movement *and* some
degree of lateral movement.

Anyone know of such a thing? Help!

We need to reduce or eliminate the sway.
What is the frame made of?
Show a picture of the frame, set up with the canvas on it.

John H[_8_] January 4th 09 02:20 PM

Bimini top brackets

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 08:51:55 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

John H wrote:
[...]

What I'm looking for is some type of ball and socket bracket that would
allow side to side motion without transmitting the stress to the screws.

John H[_8_] January 4th 09 02:31 PM

Bimini top brackets

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 09:01:56 -0500, Jim wrote:

John H wrote:
[...]

I don't have any pictures with the bimini up. I think it's ugly. The frame
is stainless steel.

I could reduce the sway by using some bungee cords or straps *across* the
boat, or to the center console. I've thought of that, but the straps would
be in the way of walking around. As a last resort, that's what I'll do.

I'm thinking there must be some mounting brackets *made* to allow side to
side motion. I've just got to find them!

[email protected] January 4th 09 02:41 PM

Bimini top brackets

John H wrote:
[...]

side motion. I've just got to find them!- Hide quoted text -

Not sure but I would look into Sailboat hardware... Lot's of moving
joints there, one might suit your needs..

jamesgangnc January 4th 09 02:45 PM

Bimini top brackets

You might find the side to side sway is reduced if you tighten the straps
more. I adjust them to be pretty tight and don't have much side to side
sway. I run them about as tight as I can and still be able to pull them to
the eyes.

John H[_8_] January 4th 09 02:55 PM

Bimini top brackets

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 09:45:37 -0500, "jamesgangnc" wrote:

You might find the side to side sway is reduced if you tighten the straps
more. I adjust them to be pretty tight and don't have much side to side
sway. I run them about as tight as I can and still be able to pull them to
the eyes.

I keep them pretty tight.

I may have found a solution or at least something along the lines of what I
was thinking.

http://tinyurl.com/9bpxs7

The ball and socket top caps and the deck hinge look like they'd do what I
wanted. Now I've got to go look at them.

Eisboch[_4_] January 4th 09 03:01 PM

Bimini top brackets

"John H" wrote in message

What I'm looking for is some type of ball and socket bracket that would
allow side to side motion without transmitting the stress to the screws.

I think you'd end up with a very floppy bimini.

The type of brackets you have allow the bimini to be lowered (folded up when
underway).
They are not supposed to hold it rigid. That's what the straps are for.

Eisboch

John H[_8_] January 4th 09 03:17 PM

Bimini top brackets

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 10:01:50 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .

What I'm looking for is some type of ball and socket bracket that would
allow side to side motion without transmitting the stress to the screws.

I think you'd end up with a very floppy bimini.

The type of brackets you have allow the bimini to be lowered (folded up when
underway).
They are not supposed to hold it rigid. That's what the straps are for.

Eisboch

Agree. But the straps prevent forward and backward motion. It's rock solid
that way. If there were straps going from the top right to the bottom left
and vice versa, then the swaying motion would be stopped also, or at least
most of it. But, walking around would be a pain.

It looks like a combination of this:
http://tacomarine.com/ccp51/media/im...y/F11-0177.gif

and this:
http://tacomarine.com/ccp51/media/im...l/F13-0301.gif