Jim Jim is offline

Default Have a good one.

HK wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 1, 1:59 pm, wrote:
On Jan 1, 10:35 am, Boater wrote:

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 06:56:03 -0800 (PST), penned
the following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:
On Jan 1, 9:30 am, Boater wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 1, 8:56 am, Boater wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"John H" wrote in message
We've not had any snow which covered the ground, yet. Lots of
wind
yesterday, buy only about four flakes of snow.
BTW, have you tried adding chains and weight to the Gator for
snow
removal?
Traction isn't a problem with the Gator. It has four wheel
drive, a
high and low gear range, plus you can lock the rear
differential. With
the wide, soft tires, it actually has much better traction in
snow and
on ice than the bigger tractor.
The limitation is the size, particularly the height of the
plow. When
the snow gets over 12 inches, it starts to pile up and over
the plow
instead of being pushed to the left or right, depending on how
you set
it's angle.
Eisboch
You need a full size dump truck with chains and a vee-plow...-
Hide
quoted text -
Eisboch, don't you love it when idiots tell you what "you need"?
Well, funny thing is, he's right. Late last night the landscaping
company that normally plows our driveway showed up. By then
there was a
bunch of new snow and drifts due to wind covering everything, even
though I had plowed earlier. He was driving a small dump truck
with
dual rear wheels and did in about 10 minutes what it takes me an
hour or
so to do with the Gator.
The only reason I do it is because we never know when Mrs.E.'s
elderly
and handicapped parents who live a few miles from us are going
to call
with an emergency. I try to keep the driveway somewhat
passable, even
during the middle of the storm for that reason.
A goal for 2009 is to convince them it's time for assisted
living or a
nursing home. It's a tough sell, but the time has come. My
mother
moved into an assisted living facility last May and she loves
it. All
kinds of activities, new friends, great meals and privacy when
she wants
to be alone. It was a tough sell for her as well. She lived in
the old
Farmhouse that we own (until tomorrow) for seven years. Now
she wishes
she had moved into the assisted living place earlier.
Eisboch
Once I got my driver's license in Connecticut at 16, I earned my
spending money in the winter by plowing driveways and shoveling
sidewalks.
I used my dad's 4WD jeep. Chains on all tires, concrete blocks in
the
back, and a hydraulically controlled plow. The dump trucks do a
good job
because the box can be filled with sand, and the added weight
gives the
chains and tires more bite.
Those were the days of relatively lightweight four cylinder
jeeps. They
were pretty good on beach sand, too...light enough not to sink too
deeply in the sand.
You remember the long Fountain Street hill? I can down there one
snowy
day in the jeep/plow and about halfway down, the road surface turned
entirely to ice. I slid about 500' and only stopped because I
dropped
the plow blade and the drag slowed me down.- Hide quoted text -
So let's see. First you want a HEAVY vehicle to give the tires more
"bite", then you praise the merits of a LIGHT Jeep......
Which is it?
Both. In that era the jeeps were built light. In the tractor pulling
early 70's we found out that a jeep with added weight would out pull a
full size pickup. So, if you already have a jeep and add weight,
you'll do fine. Whatever you have with 4WD will pull more with more
weight.
I remember when jeep came with the options of a front passenger seat,
a snow plow, a turning plow, a mower, irrigation pump... etc. and that
is the *short* list.
Your you sissies, they had the Tuxedo Park.....
Poor stupid Loogie...
In snow, the heavy dump trucks with chains on the tires and sand in the
box break up the snow and ice to get a grip on the pavement.
In sand, the old light jeeps with 4WD don't sink in to the point where
the 4WD is pretty much useless. Towing ability was not an issue with
the relatively light boats my dad towed to beach launch sites.
Stupidity - it couldn't be a Georgia thing, could it?- Hide quoted
text -
Harry, I'll bet you any amount of money you'd like that I've spent
more time off road in 4WD vehicles than you. Bet? Another thing, in
places where you get a lot of snow, you'll want to stay on TOP of it,
or you'll risk getting so deep that the running gear will bottom out
on the snow, and you'll be stuck.- Hide quoted text -

I used to put skinny bias ply tires on the wrecker to dig through and
get to the pavement....

Why does the Loogy idiot keep addressing love notes to me? I don't read
his posts directly and I am not going to respond to him second hand.

You just did what you just said you don't do. What a lying POS you are WAFA.

Don White wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
"Boater" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"John H" wrote in message

We've not had any snow which covered the ground, yet. Lots of wind
yesterday, buy only about four flakes of snow.

BTW, have you tried adding chains and weight to the Gator for snow
removal?

Traction isn't a problem with the Gator. It has four wheel drive, a
high and low gear range, plus you can lock the rear differential. With
the wide, soft tires, it actually has much better traction in snow and
on ice than the bigger tractor.

The limitation is the size, particularly the height of the plow. When
the snow gets over 12 inches, it starts to pile up and over the plow
instead of being pushed to the left or right, depending on how you set
it's angle.

Eisboch

You need a full size dump truck with chains and a vee-plow...

Last night I downloaded the newest version of Google Earth. It's pretty
cool. It even has a Flight Simulator mode that I was fooling around with
for hours.

Turns out I was a bit off on my earlier estimate of the length of our
driveway(s) that I plow.
Google Earth has a "ruler" function where you can fairly accurately
measure distances in miles, meters, yards, feet, inches, etc. I used the
"path" mode (sums a bunch of cumulative measurements) and measured the
total length of the driveways. They total 815 feet long by an average of
15 feet wide. That's a lot of snow to move with a Gator.

Eisboch

If you don't want to buy a heavy duty plowing vehicle, build a small 12' x
20' garage right at the foot of your driveway to store one of your vehicles
for the winter.

That would be dumb, dummy.

Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 09:17:53 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Jan 1, 8:56 am, Boater wrote:
Eisboch wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
[...]

Think out of the box. Build a garage at the bottom of the drive, near
the road/street. As elaborate as conditions allow.
Okay, that's the "automobile BASE station."
BASE to HOUSE TRANSPORT SECTION.
Two options to consider for HOUSE to BASE transport.
Ski lift cable transport to and from HOUSE to BASE.
Snowmobile or snow tractor transport to and from HOUSE to BASE.
Problem solved.
Besides, if you do the BASE station right, you don't have to go all
the way to the boat for some "private and manly" time away from the
wife.
Hell, you could even have a couple chain saws to rev up in there.
Just an idea, one of many.

--Vic

Did you consider a tunnel?

Don White wrote:
"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 10:32:19 -0400, "Don White"
wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
"Boater" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"John H" wrote in message

[...]

Damn Don, you think out of the box.

--Vic

Thank you..thank you very much!
When I lived outside the city , on the fringe of the snowbelt area, I would
keep my car at the bottom of my driveway about 80 feet below the house.
A lot easier on me during the heavy snowfalls when 3 foot drifts were
common.
I also had a pair of snowshoes for 'breaking a trail' around the house.

I don't think it was a compliment, dummy.

HK wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 1, 2:30 pm, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 1, 9:30 am, Boater wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 1, 8:56 am, Boater wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"John H" wrote in message
[...]

So, get over it and stop reading, we all know you do.. The first part
of recovery is to admit you have a problem...

Sorry. Loogy is the reigning permanent bozo binner. Why would you think
I would want to read posts from idiots like Loogy? Why would anyone?
Crikey, he's dumber than you are, and you are the bottom of the barrel
as far my reading pleasure is concerned. :)

WAFA *and* a liar - but we all knew that.

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 10:28:17 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Best traction is with skinny tires, putting more weight per square inch of
footprint.
The big, fat tires, kept soft are good for running on a sandy beach.

The way to get more weight per sq inch of footprint is to raise the
tire pressure. At a given pressure, you get the same area of footprint
no matter what shape tire.

Casady

wrote:

Best traction is with skinny tires, putting more weight per square inch of
footprint.
The big, fat tires, kept soft are good for running on a sandy beach.

The way to get more weight per sq inch of footprint is to raise the
tire pressure. At a given pressure, you get the same area of footprint
no matter what shape tire.

Casady

You'll have to run that one by me again.

Eisboch

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 12:03:28 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Best traction is with skinny tires, putting more weight per square inch of
footprint.
The big, fat tires, kept soft are good for running on a sandy beach.

The way to get more weight per sq inch of footprint is to raise the
tire pressure. At a given pressure, you get the same area of footprint
no matter what shape tire.

Casady

You'll have to run that one by me again.

Weight of vehicle divided by tire pressure gives contact area. The
shape of the contact patch can vary with the width of the tire. The
area doesn't vary.

Casady

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 14:14:57 -0400, "Don White"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
news:6NednYx6t6e1U8HUnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d@giganews. com...

"Boater" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

[...]

You can pack a trail with skiis, although nobody ever does. They now
use machines designed for that very thing.

Casady