Default Ocean trivia time

OK, all you word junkies, last night someone said they'd heard a word used
to describe the zone where fresh water meets salt water. I said "estuary"
and she said "No - a different word. Heard it in a documentary. It was a
pretty word. One word, not two."

There was wine involved in this discussion, so the word may not exist. Begin
throwing words....NOW! :-)

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
OK, all you word junkies, last night someone said they'd heard a word used
to describe the zone where fresh water meets salt water. I said "estuary"
and she said "No - a different word. Heard it in a documentary. It was a
pretty word. One word, not two."

There was wine involved in this discussion, so the word may not exist.
Begin throwing words....NOW! :-)

Brackish?

Not particularly pretty, but every thing looks and sounds better after wine.

Eisboch

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 12:34:09 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
OK, all you word junkies, last night someone said they'd heard a word used
to describe the zone where fresh water meets salt water. I said "estuary"
and she said "No - a different word. Heard it in a documentary. It was a
pretty word. One word, not two."

There was wine involved in this discussion, so the word may not exist.
Begin throwing words....NOW! :-)

Brackish?

Not particularly pretty, but every thing looks and sounds better after wine.

Brackish is the water. Estuary is the zone. I think the wine made
her think she heard a word other than estuary.

Steve

wrote:

OK, all you word junkies, last night someone said they'd heard a word used
to describe the zone where fresh water meets salt water. I said "estuary"
and she said "No - a different word. Heard it in a documentary. It was a
pretty word. One word, not two."

There was wine involved in this discussion, so the word may not exist.
Begin
throwing words....NOW! :-)

Firth? Fjord?

Nope. And I don't know the answer, so this isn't a newsgroup quiz. It's out
there somewhere....

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:31:27 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:37:08 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

OK, all you word junkies, last night someone said they'd heard a word used
to describe the zone where fresh water meets salt water. I said "estuary"
and she said "No - a different word. Heard it in a documentary. It was a
pretty word. One word, not two."

There was wine involved in this discussion, so the word may not exist.
Begin
throwing words....NOW! :-)

Firth? Fjord?

Nope. And I don't know the answer, so this isn't a newsgroup quiz. It's out
there somewhere....

Halocline?

"Haloclines are also found in fjords, and poorly mixed estuaries where
fresh water is deposited at the ocean surface.

A halocline can be easily created and observed in a drinking glass or other
clear vessel. If fresh water is slowly poured over a quantity of salt
water, using a spoon held horizontally at water-level to prevent mixing, a
hazy interface layer, the halocline, will soon be visible due to the
varying index of refraction across the boundary."

from Wikipedia

I thought halocline, if there was such a word, would be layers of
different salinity, one atop one another. Sure enough, bu that's not
what is under discussion.

Casady

wrote:

[...]

What? We got a female, who heard a word on a documentary, who was into some
wine, talking about a 'pretty' word...and you say it can't be 'halocline'.

The definition fits, and 'halocline' is a much prettier word than
'brackish' or 'estuary'. (Although 'estuary' isn't too ugly.)

--
** Good Day! **

John H

wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Maybe she heard it in French: estuaire

wrote:

[...]

It is possible that she was drunk and had no idea what she was babbling.

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:56:23 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:04:38 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Maybe she was dreaming about halophiles in a halocline, or angels with
halos.

Or halitosis.

Trivia JIMinFL General 0 November 9th 05 07:07 PM
First time ocean... Trevor Miller General 18 July 12th 04 06:07 PM
Columbus Trivia Gould 0738 General 13 October 15th 03 05:02 AM