Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Ocean trivia time

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:31:27 -0500, John H
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:37:08 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Tom Francis" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 12:29:28 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

OK, all you word junkies, last night someone said they'd heard a word used
to describe the zone where fresh water meets salt water. I said "estuary"
and she said "No - a different word. Heard it in a documentary. It was a
pretty word. One word, not two."

There was wine involved in this discussion, so the word may not exist.
Begin
throwing words....NOW! :-)

Firth? Fjord?

Nope. And I don't know the answer, so this isn't a newsgroup quiz. It's out
there somewhere....

Halocline?

"Haloclines are also found in fjords, and poorly mixed estuaries where
fresh water is deposited at the ocean surface.

A halocline can be easily created and observed in a drinking glass or other
clear vessel. If fresh water is slowly poured over a quantity of salt
water, using a spoon held horizontally at water-level to prevent mixing, a
hazy interface layer, the halocline, will soon be visible due to the
varying index of refraction across the boundary."

from Wikipedia

I thought halocline, if there was such a word, would be layers of
different salinity, one atop one another. Sure enough, bu that's not
what is under discussion.

Casady