Default Here - all you argumentative types...

"Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq." wrote in message
Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 03:45:35 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
chew on this for a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbach's_conjecture

And don't prove the weak conjecture.

That's for pansies.

I'll check in later and see what the results are.
Holy crap.

And people think me and my ions are boring.

Ok - just because I'm a nice guy - here's an easy one.

In the Fletcher's Paradox, the Greek philosopher Zeno (who was the
inspiration for the Socratic Method) stated that for motion to be
occurring, an object must change the position which it occupies. In
keeping with the name of the paradox, let's use an arrow as the
example. For motion to occur, the arrow must move to where it is not.
Thus there are two states - where it is and where it is not.

If we think of time as points (or instants) the arrow cannot move to
where it is not and it cannot move to where it is because it is
already there. Thus, motion cannot occur at any point (or instant) of
time - everything should remain motionless.

Solve that one - it's actually easy.

What is the question?

Is there a Santa Claus.

On Dec 23, 7:43*am, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 04:39:07 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Dec 23, 6:04*am, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:23:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Dec 22, 10:59*pm, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
chew on this for a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbach's_conjecture

And don't prove the weak conjecture.

That's for pansies.

I'll check in later and see what the results are.

The guy had excellent taste in beer.

I'll be dropping you a line on Wed - we'll get together and I can hand
off that beer.

I wasn't poking on you about the beer... it was actually an attempt at
humor. *A poor one, I guess. *:-)

I'll be around Wed. until late afternoon, then back late Thursday
afternoon. *It's supposed to be nice Friday and Saturday... you got
that new boat with you?

No- but the Ranger is still parked in the driveway.

Wanna go out?

The pontoon is sitting in the water, and it needs to be run a bit. It
won't be at Ranger speeds, but we can take it, unless you just want to
splash yours. Ping my email, maybe we can figure out a time.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:59:17 -0500, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:

chew on this for a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbach's_conjecture

And don't prove the weak conjecture.

That's for pansies.

I'll check in later and see what the results are.

Nothing needs proving.

The Salmonbait Conjecture was used to state the Goldbach's Conjecture. What
is the Salmonbait Conjecture, you ask. Well, here it is, simply stated:

"Every prime number can be written as the difference between an even
integer greater than 2 and a prime number."
--
John

Have a Super Christmas and a Spectacular New Year!

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:

Quantum physics. We already have an example of instant transfer of
energy - gravity. It affects all things at the same time. If it
didn't, then you wouldn't have round balls of stuff floating around
space and each other.

And it's been shown in numerous experiments that one particle can
exist in two places at the same time.

It's just a question of engineering. Think Eisboch and his ions. :)

Albert,
I am a little confused on this matter, does Gravity effect everything at
the same instant no matter how far away it is. I mean does the gravity
of the sun effect Venus and Pluto at the exact same instant.

messagenews:tdo0l453uk07hkghlv0h15psb00n71vef5@4a x.com...
[...]

I can clarify it (or muddy it) with another "puzzle", the old
spaceship and flashlight one.

A spaceship is traveling away from the Earth at the speed of light.
At the exact moment that it is one light-year away from Earth, someone
opens up the back door and turns on a flashlight pointed back towards
earth.

Does that light ever reach Earth, or since it is eminating light at
the same speed backwards as it it moving forward, is the light
"frozen" in space? Bonus question: If it reaches Earth, how long does
it take?

[...]

It can if, for a instant, or point, it isn't an arrow.

Eisboch

wrote:
[...]

One.

(lightyear)

give or take.

wrote:
[...]

Yup. Depends on how new the batteries are. Kidding!!!

But it seems to me that this disproves Tom's statement:

"If we think of time as points (or instants) the arrow cannot move to
where it is not and it cannot move to where it is because it is
already there. Thus, motion cannot occur at any point (or instant) of
time - everything should remain motionless. "

Motion, light emeging from the flashlight, is occuring at a point in
time. But I'm no expert.

Jim Jim is offline

wrote:
[...]

Too easy. One light year. Assuming that the light does not get absorbed
or refracted by anything along the way and that the earth is in the same
position it was in when the light was shined and that Tom hasn't shot
it down with his lightbeam destroying weaponry.

For you shortwave types JoeSpareBedroom General 0 October 21st 06 08:47 PM
Other wood types Kenton Letkeman Boat Building 3 March 20th 04 01:25 PM
coax types S/V Tranquility Electronics 6 January 26th 04 04:24 PM
Boat Types ? [email protected] General 1 September 19th 03 07:21 PM