S/V Tranquility

Default coax types

I just installed an omni-directional TV antenna using RG59U coax, but the
picture on some channels is fuzzy. During a test before permanent
installation, I used normal TV coax (black stuff) and the picture was fine
on all the channels. Is RG59U the right ohm cable???

Steve

No, the cable that came with my Shakespeare 2010 (I think that is the model)
is 75 ohm, the same as regular home tv service, just a bit better quality in
the connectors and it was white, rather than black..

Even with that it installed according to the manual and pre-amp, this
antenna has been a major disappointment.. Works only in medium to strong
signal areas. Nothing viewable in the fringe areas..

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

Opps!

Thanks for correcting my mis-statements.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:23:29 GMT, S/V Tranquility wrote:

I just installed an omni-directional TV antenna using RG59U coax, but the
picture on some channels is fuzzy. During a test before permanent
installation, I used normal TV coax (black stuff) and the picture was fine
on all the channels. Is RG59U the right ohm cable???

RG59U cable is 75 ohm and will not cause a mismatch. However, RG6U is also
75 ohm and is less lossy. I doubt there would be much difference in a
short run, but you can replace it and see. RG6 is slightly larger
(diameter greater by about 3/32") than RG59.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com

Marcus AAkesson

wrote:

I just installed an omni-directional TV antenna using RG59U coax, but the
picture on some channels is fuzzy. During a test before permanent
installation, I used normal TV coax (black stuff) and the picture was fine
on all the channels. Is RG59U the right ohm cable???

RG59 has the right 75 Ohm impedance but is not shielded enough for TV
antenna application. It is mainly used for video baseband.

RG59 is thus not approved for TV antenna/cable TV installations.

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779

Jack Painter

Marcus could be right, but it's also possible that when making the switch
you damaged the very sensitive (and cost only a couple bucks) antenna balun.
It converts the 300 ohm antenna to 75 ohm feedline. Replace the balun,
available at any radio, tv appliance store, and see if that helps.

Jack

news