Backyard Renegade

Default too short summer...

Yep, I went boating last night for only about the 5-6 time this year
but it was real nice. We lit off about 6pm from the Baldwin bridge in
the Connecticut River and headed south toward the mouth. I have a
favorite bluefish spot down near Long Island Sound just inside. We had
sandwiches, salads, beverages for all and some stinky mackerel for
bait too. The wind slowed down to nothing at sundown and the water did
the same, it was in incoming tide till about 9:30 I guess. Watertemp
about 70 so when we pulled up to releive the dog, it was nice. Crossed
the river watching the bottom with my new fishfinder and ended up
chasing bait fish with hand nets up the Luitenant (SP?) river to the
railroad bridge. On the drift back down with the outgoing tide, by the
light of a nearly full moon, I noted to the crew that "this is what I
started building boats for in the first place". We drifted around the
DEP dock fishing for a few and watched the big boats go through the
bridges and headed up to the launch about 10 pm. We were in the
Stanley Sie, a 12 foot skiff with lines taken from a 1958 Brockway
skiff. I built her years ago out of scrap from the shop and it is
still my favorite boat. The newer 8 horse is more than the boat needs
but it is a good reliable engine so I use it on the river. Anyway,
going out again today in search of that ever elusive buzz fish so Have
a great day and if you are on the CT, pull up and say hi.
ScottySB
JohnH

On 7 Sep 2003 09:51:44 -0700, (Backyard Renegade)
wrote:

[...]

Nice report, Scotty, but did you catch any feeeesh?

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
Tony V

Yep, we sure had a lousy summer in CT, lost all of June, and
a week or so in August.

September is looking good so far and nothing is more
satisfying then heading out in a boat you either built yourself or
brought back from the dead. Enjoy the rest
of the summer.

Tony V

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Backyard Renegade

Well since no one cares about boating here, I will just keep going.
Went out again yesterday, still got no feeeeesh but really don't try
all that hard. Lit off from Essex about 2pm and headed across to the
island beach. Lot's of dogs out there on the islands this summer, some
tended to, some not. I always keep mine away from others unfortunately
the way he looks he just seems to draw a crowd. Half chow, half
keeshound, all hair and golden color. Lot's of trouble with folks
reaching right into the jeep or running up to pet him... I have
decided with this dog, I just gotta' get used to it. Anyway, he swims
great, but hates it, I repeat hates the water. Heart rate goes right
to probably 200 and the feet start swimming in full panic mode. Our
last dog would just float across the pond with the life vest on and
hang with us. One of our fav things to do in the real hot summer is go
to the lake and all in pfd's slip over the side and drift with the
boat, eating, smoking, drinking, whatever just there in the water.
Anyway, ate some and swam. The water in the Connecticut River was
still a surprising 73 degrees on the incoming tide, what a beautiful
time of year up here. The river looks great with some big sailboats up
and down and I ran into a guy who built a wooden boat (swan 13 1/2')
that put me to shame. About 7 we cruised up river a ways and threw in
some stinky bunker (rotten bait fish) and ended up drifting behind the
island. The water was flat, the wind was null, there was no moon. A
few rafted boats partying here and there... I really miss being able
to crack open a cold one at times like that. Hangin' with my daughter,
fishin' swimmin' stayin' out real late... priceless...
Scotty SB
noah

On 21 Sep 2003 06:54:31 -0700, (Backyard
Renegade) wrote:

[...]

I think more than a few care about boating, Scotty.
Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed reading it.

....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.

Calif Bill

Hit the lake yesterday myself. Went up to Napa for a charity wine picking
and wine drinking for a Cal Poly SLO scholarship Saturday and towed the
boat. Went to Berryessa on Sunday, just wife and I, so left out the tube
and skis. Buddy and his wife were going to come along, but their fine union
built Suburban lost the power steering and they went with the tow truck to
deliver it to the dealer. Was HOT! 6pm was 94 in St. Helena and probably
the same at the lake. Water still 74-75. Caught a couple of fish trolling.
No bass throwing jigs and worms but trolling for trout, get a bass and nice
crappie, no trout. All returned to swim again.
Bill

[...]

Fred

I went fishing at Eagle Creek Reservoir last night. caught about six little wipers. One went about 2 pounds. the rest weren't even
fish size. Trolling crawlers on a Lindy rig.
Just relaxing to be on the water watching the sailboats go by and listening to a little blues on NPR. Temp was 70 water temp still
72 it was a great evening.
Fredo