Default Temperature sensitivity on your fish finder...

I don't know if you fishermen are aware of this, but fish species have
a preferred temperature range.

Of course the problem is that temperatures in fresh and salt water can
vary with depth/current/tide in that order. You can correlate some
temperatures based on surface readings - it's not to hard to do.

How many of you folks do that? I ask because a friend of mine sent me
an email about his experience with his transducer which was reading
four degrees too low. That can affect a fishing trip big time.

Personally, I never even considered it thinking that four degrees
wouldn't have any effect, but apparently it does - four degrees can
take you right out of the preferred temp range for a lot of fish.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/floridafishing/temp.htm

Something to think about when your getting ready in the Spring - check
the accuracy of your transducer for temperature.

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:
[...]

You are beginning to sound like one of those Navy sonar geeks. Inversion
layers and all that.

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Even though I don't fish, I happened to watch a 'fishing show' where the
host talked about barometric pressure and the effect it has on fish
activity.
Have to admit...it was mildly interesting.
http://www.quickoneplus.com/fish/art...age=barometric
http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums...&mode=threaded

Don White wrote:
[...]

I paid closer attention to water temps when we lived in Florida and I
fished a lot. Not so much up here. Once you are out of the shallows, the
Bay temps in the mid-Bay area don't vary much, and there isn't a lot of
sight fishing, so the temps you see on your finder don't really reflect
what the temps might be 20 or 40 feet below the surface. There are a
couple of outflows from power plants, though, where there are much
higher temps than usual and in the colder months, everyone goes there to
fish.

On Dec 16, 6:26*am, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
[...]

It's amazing what weather in general will do to fish. I was fishing in
a swamp in FL one time, and there was a place where a spring came up,
the normally tanin stained water was crystal clear. My canoe drifted
right over a decent sized bass. That morning a cold front had moved
in. Now, here's this bass in a couple of feet of water, my worm went
right over him, he didn't even move. So, just to see what was up, I
stuck a paddle in the sand to stop and I rubbed that worm all over his
face, even tapping him a little with the bullet weight. He never even
flinched. Only when I startled him by back padling a little.

[...]

We look for the Thermocline in the lakes we fish. Will show up on good
sonar. sometimes I think my Furuno is to good for inland lakes and rivers
as it displays algae in the water.

new to fish finder Gekino Electronics 0 July 9th 04 12:00 PM
new to fish finder Gekino Electronics 0 June 28th 04 02:16 PM
Fish finder/depth finder David General 5 May 30th 04 09:47 PM
Fish finder David Electronics 0 May 28th 04 04:59 PM
Humminbird 300TX fish finder, depth finder Opinion survey please. Joe Boater Electronics 1 December 31st 03 07:52 PM