Default Dodged a bullet...

For the 2nd time in a couple of years, I received a notice to report for
jury selection.
In my entire working life, I didn't hear a peep from them...and now that my
time is my own...twice.

Called the info line last week and found that the Dec 01 selection panel was
cancelled.
Just called tonight and they said the selection panel for Dec 08 is
cancelled and I'm off the hook.
I do have mixed feelings...after dealing with some of the motley crew that
lives here, I feel capable to judge wheat from chaff in a New York minute.
A nice warm spot to spend the winter, meeting new friends while being wined,
dined & paid also intrigued me.
Maybe they'll come calling again in a couple of years.

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 23:51:20 -0400, "Don White"
wrote:

For the 2nd time in a couple of years, I received a notice to report for
jury selection.
In my entire working life, I didn't hear a peep from them...and now that my
time is my own...twice.

That's the way it's done down here too - they pick retired types
because it doesn't cost them any money.

A nice warm spot to spend the winter, meeting new friends while being wined,
dined & paid also intrigued me.

You get paid for jury duty?

Kewl.

Maybe they'll come calling again in a couple of years.

Every time I'm called, I show up, tell them I'm disqualified because I
have a son who is in law enforcement and I drive back home.

You would think they would keep track of that wouldn't you?

It's a PIA.
--

Happy Holidays and Merry Whatever It Is
That ****es Liberals Off.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
[...]

I served on a Grand Jury once.

an that was to determine if the case should go to trial.

It did. We let it go. full speed ahead.

wrote:

[...]

I provide answers to the attorney's questions that are as short as
humanly possible. I keep a straight face, my arms crossed as much as
possible and show no emotion, and never get past the first cut.

it is scary to see who the attorney's want on the jury.

wrote:

[...]

They don't seem to fond of military types either, especially with two
brothers who were cops.
--
John H.

wrote:

[...]

Nice to see folks working so hard to avoid civic duty.

wrote:

[...]

Who? Donnie? Sounds like everyone showed up and got booted. Would you
recommend lying so as to get selected?
--
John H.

wrote:

[...]

Are you suggesting that one should pretend to be make judgments based
upon emotions and not fact? The attorneys want to have a jury they can
manipulate, and to play with their emotions. I could pretend to be a
very emotional, lie to give them the answers they want etc, but that
would be illegal.

The personality I portray during the jury selection, is representative
of the way i would deliberate any case. I never lie, I never pretend to
be something i am not, just so I can get on a jury. It is possible that
i could get by the first cut, but I am not the kind of jurist, that
either the defense or prospecting attorney want. It is very obvious by
the questions they ask, who they prefer to have on the jury.
D K D K is offline

wrote:

[...]

Like draft dodgers...

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
snip..
You get paid for jury duty?

Kewl.

snip..

Yes sir...$40. CDN a day. A year ago that was worth something.