Default Messing with Mother Nature

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:32:20 -0500, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:19:13 -0500, Boater
wrote:

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 21:48:50 -0500, Boater
wrote:

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 06:25:34 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Bull****, most DSLR's a LIGHTER than film cameras.
Actually, my E-3 weighs about 2 ounces lighter than my OM-2 and about
the same as my Nikon F-1. In fact, the Nikon F-1 with the mechanical
motor drive weighs the same as my E-300 with the extra battery pack
and the external case for it.

My Dad's Super Speed Graphic weighs a freakin' ton compared to modern
cameras. Seriously. :) I honestly don't know how he managed to
hold the freakin' thing to take pictures. My Dad's photographer when
he was with Hearst newspapers could hold it with one arm the camera
extended and hold the flash unit in the other up high.

Never figured out how he did it.
My digital SLR weighs more than the latest Nikon F6 35mm film camera and
my Nikon F100 film camera.

Did your dad use a Graflex Stroboflash or one of the Honeywell units?
I had both at one time. The Graflex had a humongous external battery
back you wore off your shoulder with a web strap.

He had a Stroboflash - I remember that one because of that battery
pack - I don't have that one anymore - don't remember what happened to
it. The one that came with it when it was passed down to me was a
Honeywell - I'd have to go look up the model number, but it has a long
round handle (a little bigger than a D-cell), tall - maybe16 inches?
and that classic Honeywell strobe face - looked like one of their
early "Auto Temp" thermostats. :)

My favorite camera of all time was a Rolleiflex T which I picked up at
the AF PX at Bein Hoa when we were passisng through. I carried that
damn thing in my pack along with a Zenith Model 1000 Transoceanic
radio. :)

Oh, I could tell you some stories about that radio. :)

Relive your youth:

http://photo.net/gc/view-one?classified_ad_id=823131

Ah - well, I have enough junk around here - don't need more. :)

I just sentTim some of my older cameras - he's a Luddite and can
appreciate them. :)

Once I finish cleaning out my office, giving away and or selling some
of my antique stuff, I can think about maybe reliving my yute. :)

I swear - I found nine cameras in the back of the closet that I didn't
even recognize - had no idea they were there. I don't even remember
where I got them or what I was doing with them.

Fortunately, I got a great price for the lot which paid for my E-3 -
which should be arriving Monday.

WHOO HOO!!!

(Of course, now that I think about it, I'm starting a Olympus Digital
collection - I have an E-1 (which I bought used a couple of years
ago), E-300, E-330, an E-520 and the E-3 I just bought plus various
lenses from my OM-1/2 days and several of the Oly 4/3rds speciality
lenses. Maybe I need to sell my 300 series cameras. :)

If you decide to trash your Hess trucks, let me know. My grandkids love
them. And although they get beaten to death, the trucks just keep on
tickin'.
--
John H

*Have a Super Christmas and a Spectacular New Year!*

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:04:01 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:19:32 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

Pardon the interruption...

I was reading in a travel trailer forum yesterday, and came across some
very nice comments about this park:

http://www.gastateparks.org/info/tallulah/

Initially I thought it was the one you mentioned. This morning I realized
it was different. Looks interesting.

Been there?
--
John H

*Have a Super Christmas and a Spectacular New Year!*

Yes, the photos I took were taken about 8-10 miles from Tallulah Gorge.
I have always found the Gorge an interesting place to look over for a
few minutes and then move on. It used to be a major tourist attraction
until GA Power built a series of dams to provide electricity to run
Atlanta Streetcars. The dams turned the river from roaring thunder to a
trickle. The dirt/gravel road I used to get to the waterfall I visited
was the old stagecoach road that took the rich tourist from Tallulah
Gorge to a secluded Country Inn.

Some State Parks I would recommend a

http://www.gastateparks.org/net/go/p...D=98&s=0.0.1.5

http://www.gastateparks.org/net/go/p...=100&s=0.0.1.5

http://www.gastateparks.org/net/go/p...D=64&s=0.0.1.5

All in the general area of TG, but I prefer them over TG.

http://www.gastateparks.org/net/go/p...D=88&s=0.0.1.5

Further south, and very close to Calloway Gardens. A great place for
golf and gardens etc.

http://www.callawaygardens.com/

Thanks. I appreciate it.

"Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq." wrote in message
D.Duck wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq." wrote in message

snip

I did shoot these in RAW with no compression on the RAW. I use a batch
conversion macro in Lightroom (I think), and had it set up 640x480 size
with auto sharpen Landscape. I have never seen a jpg compression ratio,
I thought jpg just compressed it as much as possible. I also have never
used a batch conversion before, and never reduce the size so small, so I
really don't know if this is the result to expect or not.

If you're not familiar with jpeg file compression you may want to check
out the link below. Every time you compress a jpeg file it will lose
detail. It's cumulative and you can't go back. It's always best to work
on a copy so the original retains its detail.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/for...mythsfacts.htm

Thanks for the link. That is why I shot in RAW, and don't use jpgs except
to upload to the web, which I normally set the quality to "maximum", but
since I was uploading a batch of files, I set the quality to a small size.
After reading your web site, I can see that is what Tom meant by
compression. I just thought it reduced the size of the physical size of
the image, it looks like it also changes the compression ratio.

Yep, more compression, more artifacts.

wrote:

[...]

http://www.callawaygardens.com/- Hide quoted text -

I'd like to add that if you go to the Callaway area, go to Warm
Springs where FDR went alot. That's where his Little White House is,
and it's a very nice tour. Warm Springs is a cool little town, too.

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:19:32 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:

I would just recommend that for the next few week's, you look
under your car before you crank the engine.

Duly noted.

wrote:

I did shoot these in RAW with no compression on the RAW. I use a batch
conversion macro in Lightroom (I think), and had it set up 640x480 size
with auto sharpen Landscape. I have never seen a jpg compression ratio,
I thought jpg just compressed it as much as possible. I also have never
used a batch conversion before, and never reduce the size so small, so I
really don't know if this is the result to expect or not.

Mr. Duck provided the explanation.

This is something that has annoyed me for quite a while now. You
would think that the camera manufacturers would get together and come
up with a standard RAW format that everybody could use at a base
level. Like open source software kind of thing. Each manufacturer
could add something of "theirs" for their specific camera, but you
could cross platforms if they got their act together.

If AOL hadn't of been pricks with their .GIF format, we would have
never seen .jpeg and all of it's attendent problems with handling RAW
output.

Morons.

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...

If AOL hadn't of been pricks with their .GIF format, we would have
never seen .jpeg and all of it's attendent problems with handling RAW
output.

Morons.

http://www.eisboch.com/gotmail00.wav

http://www.eisboch.com/gotmail06.wav

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
I would just recommend that for the next few week's, you look
under your car before you crank the engine. *

Duly noted.

I look under my car daily to see if stuff is leaking by the bucket
load or look for stuff about to fall off.

wrote:

Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:
[...]

Wow..I haven't seen an olympus SLR, digital or film, for years. I
remember the film SLRs were smaller than the nikons and canons, and very
popular because of that.

As I've told you (and others) my Dad's photographer when he was with
the Record American gave me his Nikon F-1 system when I returned from
my second tour as kind of a welcome home present. He had replaced it
with a Canon system as I remember. At the time, I had purchased an
Olympus FTL in Japan - it was a decent early SLR and I liked it. I
used both for a few years until Oly came out with the OM-1 and it was
off to the races with Oly cameras. Never used another camera except
for a Hasselblad I purchased around '84 when I was seriously thinking
of doing freelance work.

During that period, I purchased quite a few older cameras for
different reasons - hence the number of cameras I had in my closet.
Each for a reason long forgotten, but I had some classics there.
Amazing that I forgot all about them.

The interesting thing was that I wasn't an early adopter of the
digital camera. When the C-80L was introduced in '97, I borrowed one
and didn't like it - thought digital would never replace film. That
changed with the C-2000 and the rest is history.

To tell the truth, Oly is the best DSLR on the market - they've been
ahead of the tech curve with their cameras since the C-2000 - Nikon
and Canon have always had to play catch up to Oly tech. The only
problem with Oly is that they refuse to market their cameras in the
same fashion as Nikon and Canon preferring to stick with a few
dedicated users to spread the word. Which is fine with me - not
everybody has one. :)

I'm going to be using the Hasselblad in the next couple of weeks doing
some experiments with the digital back. I want to try really large
format digital files and see how they work.

I'm down to one film SLR, one digital SLR, and one old Leica I love to
use but I am afraid of breaking. I sold off the D200. I just did not
want to contend with "DX" lens issues, as I explained to you previously.

But I love rangefinder cameras. They're quiet, they're compact, they're
fairly low tech. I have my eyes on a slightly used but cherry Zeiss Ikon
and a new Voigtlander Bessa. Both use M mount lenses. The new Zeiss
lenses, though, are very expensive. But there are plenty of used M
lenses around.

I gave Tim a Yashica range finder I had - great camera - loved it
actually, but I never used it much - I doubt it's had four roles of
film put through it - practically brand new.

messing with boats - 2 ASA points Capt. JG ASA 22 January 30th 07 03:43 PM
The Nature of the Beast John W. Bienko ASA 1 September 7th 06 02:12 PM
Messing About in Boats John Touring 0 September 9th 04 03:52 AM
Nature knows best?? Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 September 1st 03 08:39 AM