Default I can...canoe?

Orvis has a lovely cedar strip canoe in its latest catalogue:

http://tinyurl.com/5j9upj

Boats...the way they are supposed to be built!

On Nov 16, 7:35*am, Boater wrote:
Orvis has a lovely cedar strip canoe in its latest catalogue:

http://tinyurl.com/5j9upj

Boats...the way they are supposed to be built!

Harry, because of modern technology, there are many methods and
materials for building things than ever before. Should we really stick
our heads in the sand and not learn anything newer and better than
what was available previously?

On Nov 16, 12:32 pm, wrote:
On Nov 16, 7:35 am, Boater wrote:

Orvis has a lovely cedar strip canoe in its latest catalogue:

http://tinyurl.com/5j9upj

Boats...the way they are supposed to be built!

Harry, because of modern technology, there are many methods and
materials for building things than ever before. Should we really stick
our heads in the sand and not learn anything newer and better than
what was available previously?

I see a lot of boats like this and I wonder how much they really get
used. If you REALLY use a boat, it will get lots of dings and scrapes
and would ruin a boat like that. I'd have to say this is a poor
choice for a real boat but a good choice for a virtual boater.

Frogwatch wrote:
On Nov 16, 12:32 pm, wrote:
On Nov 16, 7:35 am, Boater wrote:

Orvis has a lovely cedar strip canoe in its latest catalogue:
http://tinyurl.com/5j9upj
Boats...the way they are supposed to be built!

Harry, because of modern technology, there are many methods and
materials for building things than ever before. Should we really stick
our heads in the sand and not learn anything newer and better than
what was available previously?

I see a lot of boats like this and I wonder how much they really get
used. If you REALLY use a boat, it will get lots of dings and scrapes
and would ruin a boat like that. I'd have to say this is a poor
choice for a real boat but a good choice for a virtual boater.

The cedar canoe was aesthetically pleasing. Also, if you are paddling
around in the right sorts of waters, with no rocks or rapids, a cedar
strip canoe is great fun.

I have a plastic canoe. It has zero aesthetic appeal, but it is tough
enough for the bumps and scrapes of the Shenandoah River, where we paddle.

Trashy looking boats that have been abused seem to have lots of appeal
for you and Loogy the Braindead. To each his own.

On Nov 16, 1:10 pm, Boater wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
On Nov 16, 12:32 pm, wrote:
On Nov 16, 7:35 am, Boater wrote:

[...]

Probably cuz it means we use our boats. Lemme see, 46 yr old Grumman
canoe, all sorts of nicks and dings and I know the origin of most of
em. The bent thwart is from when my mother decapitated a water
moccassin right next to me with the paddle when I was 6. Welded spot
is from where it was sunk under a log on the Alapaha River, all the
bottom scrapes are from "Look and Tremble" shoals on the Chipola
River, etc...

Senior Member

On Nov 16, 8:13*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
On Nov 16, 1:10 pm, Boater wrote:

Frogwatch wrote:
On Nov 16, 12:32 pm, wrote:
On Nov 16, 7:35 am, Boater wrote:

[...]

River, etc...- Hide quoted text -

I build boats that not only look nice, but stand up and can take a
beating too.. The modern materials such as 4.5 oz tight weave glass
cloth are good for clearcoat covering without adding weight... Harry
just says what he can to try to get my goat, but he really doesn't
know anything about modern materials and ultralite boat building ...

Frogwatch wrote:
On Nov 16, 1:10 pm, Boater wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
On Nov 16, 12:32 pm, wrote:
On Nov 16, 7:35 am, Boater wrote:
[...]

Uh, no. It means one of us is careful about our gear and the other
isn't. My canoe is pretty scratched up on the bottom because of the
rocky rapids we shoot on the river. Otherwise, though, it looks ok.

LANGFORD CANOE VS. SWIFT CANOE Mr. Buddy Green General 0 June 12th 06 07:24 AM
My first canoe, how big? [email protected] Boat Building 5 May 19th 06 01:15 PM
question about white water canoe (is a canoe a boat?) Mike Hollywood General 3 January 4th 06 07:18 PM
What is this canoe? BREWERPAUL General 6 June 6th 04 05:03 AM
canoe David General 4 October 4th 03 12:12 PM