posted to rec.boats.building

Default My first canoe, how big?

I'm an IT Consultant and am considering a new hobby to take up a little
bit of my time. I'm thinking about building a canoe. Am I better to
buy just the plans, or a whole kit with forms? I have about 5 hours a
week that I could honestly put into the work but would like to see some
results within a few months. If possible I'd like to have my 4 year
old daughter help a bit too. How big should I build to accommodate 2
adults and 1 child on an afternoon?

Thanks, Tim Macking MCSE CCNA MCDBA MCSA

posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH

wrote:
I'm an IT Consultant and am considering a new hobby to take up a
little bit of my time. I'm thinking about building a canoe. Am I
better to buy just the plans, or a whole kit with forms?

Just the plans would be more fun
__________________

I have
about 5 hours a week that I could honestly put into the work but
would like to see some results within a few months. If possible I'd
like to have my 4 year old daughter help a bit too.

I just built an 8' stitch & glue sailing pram from really lousy plans, took
me about four months including the spars. That probably equates to about
100 hours which is way longer than it should have been but I'm kinda picky.
Spent lots of time trying to interpret the plans too...
_________________

How big should I
build to accommodate 2 adults and 1 child on an afternoon?

Rather depends on where and how you intend to use it. If you have to lug it
around, small (10'-12') is good. A larger one isn't all that much more work
to build. Here are some suggestions...
http://www.voyageurcanoe.com/choosing.htm

Some freebie plans...
http://www.bigdamfish.net/freeplans.html

The two easiest methods of building IMO are "STITCH & GLUE" and "STRIP".
Googling same will give you a ton of info but basically, "stitch & glue"
involves cutting panels from thin plywood, securing them together
temporarily with wire (14 gauge copper works well) and then securing them
permanently with epoxy fillets; "strip" is more complicated. Both rely on
epoxy a good source for which is http://www.uscomposites.com/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

posted to rec.boats.building

The 16 feet long canoe is the best length for two people or even one person.
Below 16 feet long the directional stability and geometric centre of gravity
are greatly reduced. The weight of a 16 feet canoe is around 60-65 pounds.
Going down a river a 16 feet canoe will steer are react much faster. As for
the design I prefer the round bottom river canoe. Some people prefers the
flat bottom canoe (known as a lake canoe). The flat bottom canoe does not
steer well and is only good in small lake with minimal wind. While the
round bottom canoe has been used in white water river, choppy waves and
windy lake.
The cost and time of building a 16 or 12 feet canoe are about the same.
"dadiOH" wrote in message
wrote:
[...]

Denny

Consider a rowing pram for a starter... I'm just finishing up two for
the grandkids.. One is is in first coat of paint and the other is about
a week from painting... I started about 6 weeks ago... The Bronze
oarlocks and pintles just came today from Jamestown Distributers...
Between 25 hours and 30 hours work for a finished boat... I won't
suggest the plans I got as they are bad, but there are several nice
ones available.. For starters look at some such as:
http://www.gartsideboats.com/catrow.php#6ply
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jw...hind/index.htm (more work
but sure is pretty)
Any of Jim Michalaks designs are excellent - For a bit more work his
Piccup Pram gives you a lot of boat...
Or get Dynamite Paysons book...
Lots of other info out there..

The reason I suggest a stich-n-glue 8' or 9' pram for a first build is
that you are more likely to finish it, it has more utility than a
canoe, will let you know if you really want to build something more
complex, is a low cost venture and doesn't need a shop full of multi
thousand dollar power tools... Once you have finished the pram then
you will know if you want to take on a fancy boat with a lot more
fitting, cutting, beveling, and a higher level of precision needed...

If you do decide to go this route drop me a line and I will have some
specific suggestions on plywood, glue, etc...

cheers ... denny

posted to rec.boats.building

Should you decide to build a pram instead of a canoe I strongly suggest the
Sabot 7-8 feet long.
I have build one 20 years ago and I still use it every year. The plan is
free and the design is proven. It row extremely well with one person.
With two persons the second one that seats astern has to be light weight.
Otherwise if the weight exceeds 140 pound astern the person seating there
may, at time get a wet bum. The biggest cost in building that type of
stitch and glue pram is the epoxy and the fibreglass tape. The cost of
plywood is well under $100.00.

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Andrew Butchart

For ease and speed of build you can't beat the "6-hour canoe" and it's
variations. No - you can't build it in 6 hours though. It's a bit small
for 2 adults and a child though - I'm a fairly big guy (230lbs) and will
only go out in mine with a small child. Take a look on the internet for the
6-hour canoe book and also take a look at the "Cheap Canoe" plans free from
bateau.com - http://www.bateau2.com/free/cheapcanoe.htm Keep in mind that a
canoe big enough for 2 people will usually require 2 people to load it on
your car and move it around. There's a lot more weight and size to it. For
us, we have a "Cheap Canoe" variation and a "Mouse Boat"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mouseboats/ for river use.

If you are more ambitious and have lots of time and some good tools, or just
want to dream, I'd suggest Ted Moore's book CanoeCraft.

For kits there are a lot of major players and a kit will possibly get you
going faster. Do an internet search for canoe kits and you'll have lots of
choices.

--
Andrew Butchart

oups.com...