posted to rec.boats.building
Denny

Default My first canoe, how big?

Consider a rowing pram for a starter... I'm just finishing up two for
the grandkids.. One is is in first coat of paint and the other is about
a week from painting... I started about 6 weeks ago... The Bronze
oarlocks and pintles just came today from Jamestown Distributers...
Between 25 hours and 30 hours work for a finished boat... I won't
suggest the plans I got as they are bad, but there are several nice
ones available.. For starters look at some such as:
http://www.gartsideboats.com/catrow.php#6ply
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jw...hind/index.htm (more work
but sure is pretty)
Any of Jim Michalaks designs are excellent - For a bit more work his
Piccup Pram gives you a lot of boat...
Or get Dynamite Paysons book...
Lots of other info out there..

The reason I suggest a stich-n-glue 8' or 9' pram for a first build is
that you are more likely to finish it, it has more utility than a
canoe, will let you know if you really want to build something more
complex, is a low cost venture and doesn't need a shop full of multi
thousand dollar power tools... Once you have finished the pram then
you will know if you want to take on a fancy boat with a lot more
fitting, cutting, beveling, and a higher level of precision needed...

If you do decide to go this route drop me a line and I will have some
specific suggestions on plywood, glue, etc...

cheers ... denny