Default WTH?

NO new posts for an entire morning?

That's gotta be a first. :)

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
NO new posts for an entire morning?

That's gotta be a first. :)

Easy news isn't feeding them to you. They are probably overloaded with
political crap. Be patient. "Soon come"

On Nov 14, 11:06 am, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
NO new posts for an entire morning?

That's gotta be a first. :)

The temptation has been great to post political stuff but I will do so
only every now and then. I do not want to seem like certain people
who are unable to see the diff tween politics and boats.
I do want to rant about poorly made electronics though but will wait
for another time.
I will rant about poor electronics design, particularly the "cell
phone menu" type of design which seems to me to be user hostile.
Older devices such as analog alarm clocks were very easy to figure out
with a knob for various functions. Setting the time was just a matter
of turning the right one or maybe pulling it out. By contrast, modern
devices are not obvious at all and often require that you keep a many
page manual just so you can remember how to make them do the most
basic functions. This is a matter of basically poor design.
Compare the design of an older type of VHF with knobs for squelch,
volume, channel. etc with a modern one with very few real buttons that
must be pushed in weird order just to enable you to change channels or
turn down the squelch. Sure, you can remember how to do this when
calm but what about in an emergency? Could you do it while being in a
life jacket up to your mouth in the water so you could barely see the
display? See, this isnt just a matter of ease of use for us Luddites,
ti is a matter of safety.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

I feel your pain. No, this is not about politics.

I bought my son an Icom handheld VHF radio for his beachhouse so he could
eavesdrop on the boats and ships either fishing on the bay or
entering/exiting the Cape Cod Canal.

Took me half an hour just to figure out how to turn it on, adjust the volume
and set the squelch.
Another 20 minutes or so and I had several frequencies set in the scan mode.
None of this was accomplished without the aid of the owner's manual which
normally I don't even bother to take out of the box.

This little VHF transceiver has more modes and programming gimmicks than
anyone would possible ever need or want. I guess they do it simply because
they "can".

Eisboch

On Nov 14, 11:42*am, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

You should have just handed it over. I let my teenager figure it out
and then ask her how to do the things I'm interested in doing.

My wife can't stand any of it though. I have a moderately complicate
audio/visual equipment collection in the family room and she refuses
to even try to understand it.

MMC MMC is offline

NO new posts for an entire morning?

That's gotta be a first. :)

Here's one for you:
The tilt on my 1997 Force 50 has developed an intermitant problem- always
works to lower and sometimes works to raise the outboard.
If it doesn't work, I leave it sit for a while then check it again followed
by unplugging and plugging the 3 sets of connectors from the harness to the
motor. Last time, I checked the voltage at the connectors closest to the
motor and was getting about 9 volts in both switch positions.
My unplugging/plugging game didn't work that time so I swapped the wires (2
on this model) and the motor tilted up and for a moment tilted down but
didn't the second time I tried.
Any ideas?
MMC

NO new posts for an entire morning?

That's gotta be a first. :)

Are you using Justwait's "networking services"?

Here's a boating post for you...took Yo-Ho to the dealer's for
winterizing this morning. Emailed you a possibly interesting shopping list.

mmc wrote:

The tilt on my 1997 Force 50 has developed an intermitant problem- always
works to lower and sometimes works to raise the outboard.
If it doesn't work, I leave it sit for a while then check it again followed
by unplugging and plugging the 3 sets of connectors from the harness to the
motor. Last time, I checked the voltage at the connectors closest to the
motor and was getting about 9 volts in both switch positions.
My unplugging/plugging game didn't work that time so I swapped the wires (2
on this model) and the motor tilted up and for a moment tilted down but
didn't the second time I tried.

Do you get a relay "click" the times it doesn't work?

--
Regards,
Dave Brown

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 16:06:56 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

NO new posts for an entire morning?

That's gotta be a first. :)

Gotta be your server. Lots of rain up there?
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
RG RG is offline

NO new posts for an entire morning?

That's gotta be a first. :)

Here's one for ya'.

I was reading my November 27, 2008 issue of Rolling Stone and found this of
interest:

Forty Years Ago

Top Ten Albums November 16th, 1968

1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

2. Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills

3. The Rascals - Time Peace/The Rascals Greatest Hits

4. Jose Feliciano - Feliciano!

5. Steppenwolf - The Second

6. The Chambers Brothers - The Time Has Come

7. The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

8. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

9. Cream - Wheels of Fire

10. Glen Campbell - Gentle on My Mind

Ahhh, good times those were.