Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Lurch

Default Help With First Boat.

Greetings All!

I have just returned from a trip to Seattle with my family. We had a
wonderful time fishing and crabbing on the Peuget Sound with my West Coast
relatives (our first time). We have decided to sell one of our motorcycles
and buy a boat. I live in Harrisburg, PA would like a boat to do the
following:

- Play (tube/wakeboard/hang out) in the river at the local boat launch
(approx 5+ feet of water)
- Be able to withstand the Chesapeake bay for crabbing/fishing.
- capacity of 5 people (mostly just 3, but 5 on occasion) in mild chop.
- User friendly (first boat)
- under 15,000 USD

I spent some time in the Navy, so I am familiar enough with the water to
know I need to learn more. I/We plan on taking the local boating course
available before our purchase. I have no experience with the bay, just that
we had a great time in Seattle.

At this point, we are considering a Boston Whaler 150 sport. I found a new
one locally for 12k with bimini top, comfort package, trailer, and standard
2 stroke Merc outboard. This seems to fit the bill, but we have no
experience and don't want to be led astray by an overzealous salesman.

What I am looking for is alternate options, and anything I should be aware
of as a neophite boater. Any links to info would also be welcome.

Thanks Everyone!

Best,

John
Harrisburg, PA