Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Help With First Boat.

Yep, its a whole new world when you can shut off the coffee grinder and
enjoy the slap of canvas in the wind.

NH_/)_ wrote:

yes... when we first started to do boating we purchased
3 diff types, I know not everyone can do this ...but we went
boat crazy, one 19ft pontoon, one 18ft Rinker, one 2700scr
Maxum. Had fun on them for a long time, then we sold
all 3 to change over to a sailboat. Now its a whole
new venture :-)

NH_/)_

"DownTime" wrote in message
m...

Might want to check out some local marinas and rent a few different brands
to get the feel for how it will work in your situation. You are right on
target in not letting a salesman dictate the best fit for your needs.

being

a first time boat buyer, you probably do not even realize what you true
needs are until you have been doing it for a while. That is why we
continually sell/trade/buy to find our 'ultimate' boat.

I believe a 15ft anything, would be small for 5 people. Especially if the
conditions are less than ideal.

p.s. Is there really an 'ultimate' boat?

"Lurch" Lurch3ATTcomcastDDOTTnet wrote in message

Greetings All!

I have just returned from a trip to Seattle with my family. We had a
wonderful time fishing and crabbing on the Peuget Sound with my West

Coast

relatives (our first time). We have decided to sell one of our

motorcycles

and buy a boat. I live in Harrisburg, PA would like a boat to do the
following:

- Play (tube/wakeboard/hang out) in the river at the local boat launch
(approx 5+ feet of water)
- Be able to withstand the Chesapeake bay for crabbing/fishing.
- capacity of 5 people (mostly just 3, but 5 on occasion) in mild chop.
- User friendly (first boat)
- under 15,000 USD

I spent some time in the Navy, so I am familiar enough with the water to
know I need to learn more. I/We plan on taking the local boating course
available before our purchase. I have no experience with the bay, just

that

we had a great time in Seattle.

At this point, we are considering a Boston Whaler 150 sport. I found a

new

one locally for 12k with bimini top, comfort package, trailer, and

standard

2 stroke Merc outboard. This seems to fit the bill, but we have no
experience and don't want to be led astray by an overzealous salesman.

What I am looking for is alternate options, and anything I should be

aware

of as a neophite boater. Any links to info would also be welcome.

Thanks Everyone!

Best,

John
Harrisburg, PA