JohnH

Default Help With First Boat.

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:29:09 -0400, "Lurch" Lurch3ATTcomcastDDOTTnet wrote:

Greetings All!

I have just returned from a trip to Seattle with my family. We had a
wonderful time fishing and crabbing on the Peuget Sound with my West Coast
relatives (our first time). We have decided to sell one of our motorcycles
and buy a boat. I live in Harrisburg, PA would like a boat to do the
following:

- Play (tube/wakeboard/hang out) in the river at the local boat launch
(approx 5+ feet of water)
- Be able to withstand the Chesapeake bay for crabbing/fishing.
- capacity of 5 people (mostly just 3, but 5 on occasion) in mild chop.
- User friendly (first boat)
- under 15,000 USD

I spent some time in the Navy, so I am familiar enough with the water to
know I need to learn more. I/We plan on taking the local boating course
available before our purchase. I have no experience with the bay, just that
we had a great time in Seattle.

At this point, we are considering a Boston Whaler 150 sport. I found a new
one locally for 12k with bimini top, comfort package, trailer, and standard
2 stroke Merc outboard. This seems to fit the bill, but we have no
experience and don't want to be led astray by an overzealous salesman.

What I am looking for is alternate options, and anything I should be aware
of as a neophite boater. Any links to info would also be welcome.

Thanks Everyone!

Best,

John
Harrisburg, PA

Having had a 15' Whaler, I can say that 5 people makes for a crowded boat! A
fifteen footer on Chesapeake Bay is fine, if the weather is fine. I took mine in
the Bay very often, putting in at Sandy Point and going down to Annapolis for
lunch or up to the Magothy to play at a boaters beach. It is a rough ride if the
chop is up. With the 70hp engine, the boat was well able to pull a tube. We had
some great times on that little boat, but if I had to do it again, I'd spend the
bucks and go for the 17'er.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD