posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Default NiMH Rechargeable Battery Repair

Sorry for crosspost but r.b.e doesn't seem to see much traffic these days.

I am trying to rebuild several old handheld VHF battery packs that seem no
longer commercially available. The radios themselves seem fine and are
certainly OK for my application. I took the batteries apart and tried a
temporary fix with standard alkaline AA cells, taping aluminum foil in place
to make series connections. The radios seemed to like this so I bought a
quantity of the corresponding NiMH rechargeable AA cells to make a permanent
repair.

Problem is I am not at all sure how to secure a conductor from "plus" to
"minus" with the cells to make a strong and long-lasting series connection.
Is there some kind of conductive adhesive or conductive film that can be
used for this application? Larry, where are you when we need you (weak
humor)?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Armond,

I do this all the time. I have one on the bench right now waiting for
the new cells to come in. It is an old handheld VHF that the owner
loves which is good, because the repair will not be cost effective. (He
can buy a complete, NIB unit for a few dollars more than the quote.

Do not solder to the cells. This is a recipe for problems.

The only answer is to get on the web and find NiCad or NiMH (Lithium are
still hard to come by) with solder tabs all ready in place. Then you
can solder the tabs together or jumper between then to make up the
package.

If you can't find cells with solder tabs, the only other choice it to
use a micro size resistance welder.

Good Luck Guy

Matt Colie

Armond Perretta wrote:
[...]

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Use copper wire and solder it to the top and bottom's of the respective
batteries. The trick is to not get the battery ends too hot. Use one of
those fancy butane torches that have a tiny flame. They will melt and stick
the solder without harming the battery. Practice on a couple dead batteries
first to get your technique down. Use rosin core solder.

--
Gregory Hall

Matt Colie wrote:

If you can't find cells with solder tabs, the only other choice it to
use a micro size resistance welder.

Perhaps silver loaded epoxy as used for chip assembly would work, I have
used it to repair car rear window heater traces.
Dick

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Matt Colie" wrote
Do not solder to the cells. This is a recipe for problems.

I've soldered them successfully. It's definitely not a job for the
ham-handed, though, which is why the manufacturers tell you not to do it.
I've been buying cells from http://www.all-battery.com lately, btw. Pretty
good selection and price, tabbed and otherwise.

Armond Perretta wrote:
[...]

Hi, Armond, and group,

I took another device to Batteries Plus. Having already opened the
case, they did them microweld/jumper/connection tags to the
appropriate batteries for only the cost of the batteries themselves.

I expect that would be a good solution to your dilemma...

HTH

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message

Armond Perretta wrote:
[...]

These posts **** me off. Whatever happened to self-reliance? Everybody but
myself's answer is to pay somebody else to do a simple job. Yes pay what a
battery costs to get somebody else to do what you should be able to do
yourself. Are there any REAL men left in the world anymore or are there just
lazy bums with more money than skill or sense?

--
Gregory Hall

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
msg msg is offline

Gregory Hall wrote:

snip
Problem is I am not at all sure how to secure a conductor from "plus" to
"minus" with the cells to make a strong and long-lasting series
connection.
Is there some kind of conductive adhesive or conductive film that can be
used for this application? Larry, where are you when we need you (weak
humor)?

Use copper wire and solder it to the top and bottom's of the respective
batteries. The trick is to not get the battery ends too hot. Use one of
those fancy butane torches that have a tiny flame. They will melt and stick
the solder without harming the battery. Practice on a couple dead batteries
first to get your technique down. Use rosin core solder.

Our local "Batteries Plus" (USA) will weld tabs onto customer's batteries
for a small token payment ($2 last time I had a dozen done).

Michael
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"msg" wrote in message
Gregory Hall wrote:

snip
[...]

Strange how at least one subscriber here says "Don't do it!" yet it's plain
that it's done all the time. I guess what some people believe is THEY can't
do it while a so-called professional can. What they're really saying is
don't do it because *I* can't do it and I don't want you doing it because
YOU would make ME look bad. They don't believe they have the skill to do a
simple job. They don't have the guts to even try it on a dead battery. They
would have YOU be the same. How pathetic is that? And these people claim to
be sailors? Yeah right! Probably have to pay somebody to repair a tear in a
sail, or put an eye splice in doublebraid, or wire up their GPS, or put a
coat or two of paint on their boat's bottom, or install new standing
rigging, or install new parts in the head pump.

Stupidity, laziness, fear, sloth and ineptitude is all that one encounters
in this world anymore. A bunch of dependent people all queuing up to pay
somebody else with borrowed money to do things they should learn how to do
themselves. Disgusting and pathetic!

--
Gregory Hall

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

In article ,
"Armond Perretta" wrote:

Sorry for crosspost but r.b.e doesn't seem to see much traffic these days.

I am trying to rebuild several old handheld VHF battery packs that seem no
longer commercially available. ...

Problem is I am not at all sure how to secure a conductor from "plus" to
"minus" with the cells to make a strong and long-lasting series connection.
Is there some kind of conductive adhesive or conductive film that can be
used for this application? Larry, where are you when we need you (weak
humor)?

Conductive adhesive does not work for these currents.

Get them from a manufacturer's distributor - they will weld them with
strips in any shape you like, or even have them in your desired shape.
By far the best option.

HTH

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com