posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Default NiMH Rechargeable Battery Repair

Sorry for crosspost but r.b.e doesn't seem to see much traffic these days.

I am trying to rebuild several old handheld VHF battery packs that seem no
longer commercially available. The radios themselves seem fine and are
certainly OK for my application. I took the batteries apart and tried a
temporary fix with standard alkaline AA cells, taping aluminum foil in place
to make series connections. The radios seemed to like this so I bought a
quantity of the corresponding NiMH rechargeable AA cells to make a permanent
repair.

Problem is I am not at all sure how to secure a conductor from "plus" to
"minus" with the cells to make a strong and long-lasting series connection.
Is there some kind of conductive adhesive or conductive film that can be
used for this application? Larry, where are you when we need you (weak
humor)?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 06:43:33 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

[...]

Buy cells with solder tags:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...mh+solder+tags
and find someone to solder them. NiMH need to be cycled quite a few
times until they reach full capacity so don't get disappointed too
soon. They also self-discharge quickly so recharge before use.

Armond,

Try this group.

http://www.primecell.com/

I had my old handheld redone with a new NiMH battery and it has been fine
since.

Ansley Sawyer

"Ansley W. Sawyer" wrote in message
Armond,

Try this group.

http://www.primecell.com/

I had my old handheld redone with a new NiMH battery and it has been fine
since.

Ansley Sawyer

I used them recently. They seem to have returned a working unit... the good
news. However, their turnaround time was terrible, and they had very poor
response to email inquiries.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Goofball_star_dot_etal wrote in
:

Buy cells with solder tags:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...8&rls=GGLD,GGL
D:2004-11,GGLD:en&q=nimh+solder+tags and find someone to solder them.
NiMH need to be cycled quite a few times until they reach full
capacity so don't get disappointed too soon. They also self-discharge
quickly so recharge before use.

DO NOT SOLDER THEM! Heating a Ni-CD or Ni-mh battery with a soldering iron
may cause an EXPLOSION! NO NO NO!

These things are spot welded with a tiny spot welding machine that is
instantaneous, a tiny spark welds them together.

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:18:24 +0000, Larry wrote:

Goofball_star_dot_etal wrote in
:

Buy cells with solder tags:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...8&rls=GGLD,GGL
D:2004-11,GGLD:en&q=nimh+solder+tags and find someone to solder them.
NiMH need to be cycled quite a few times until they reach full
capacity so don't get disappointed too soon. They also self-discharge
quickly so recharge before use.

DO NOT SOLDER THEM! Heating a Ni-CD or Ni-mh battery with a soldering iron
may cause an EXPLOSION! NO NO NO!

What do you think solder tags with little holes in them are for?

These things are spot welded with a tiny spot welding machine that is
instantaneous, a tiny spark welds them together.

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:18:24 +0000, Larry wrote:

Goofball_star_dot_etal wrote in
:

Buy cells with solder tags:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...8&rls=GGLD,GGL
D:2004-11,GGLD:en&q=nimh+solder+tags and find someone to solder them.
NiMH need to be cycled quite a few times until they reach full
capacity so don't get disappointed too soon. They also self-discharge
quickly so recharge before use.

DO NOT SOLDER THEM! Heating a Ni-CD or Ni-mh battery with a soldering iron
may cause an EXPLOSION! NO NO NO!

" Do not solder directly onto batteries. Always solder onto solder tag
for connection. "

http://www.steatite.co.uk/batteries/...echargable.pdf

Notice that they have vents too.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

Armond,

I do this all the time. I have one on the bench right now waiting for
the new cells to come in. It is an old handheld VHF that the owner
loves which is good, because the repair will not be cost effective. (He
can buy a complete, NIB unit for a few dollars more than the quote.

Do not solder to the cells. This is a recipe for problems.

The only answer is to get on the web and find NiCad or NiMH (Lithium are
still hard to come by) with solder tabs all ready in place. Then you
can solder the tabs together or jumper between then to make up the
package.

If you can't find cells with solder tabs, the only other choice it to
use a micro size resistance welder.

Good Luck Guy

Matt Colie

Matt Colie wrote:

If you can't find cells with solder tabs, the only other choice it to
use a micro size resistance welder.

Perhaps silver loaded epoxy as used for chip assembly would work, I have
used it to repair car rear window heater traces.
Dick

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics

"Matt Colie" wrote
Do not solder to the cells. This is a recipe for problems.

I've soldered them successfully. It's definitely not a job for the
ham-handed, though, which is why the manufacturers tell you not to do it.
I've been buying cells from http://www.all-battery.com lately, btw. Pretty
good selection and price, tabbed and otherwise.