posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default HDTV antenna suggestions

Dear Group:

Any recommendations for an HDTV antenna to be installed on the mast
below the radar antenna? Also, does it really need to be "amplified"
by 12 volts of juice? The thirteen year old antenna now on the boat
is amplified, but often seems provide better reception when the power
to it is turned off. Many thanks for any help.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"s/v Sunshine, PDQ 36" wrote in news:afbb5117-
:

Dear Group:

Any recommendations for an HDTV antenna to be installed on the mast
below the radar antenna? Also, does it really need to be "amplified"
by 12 volts of juice? The thirteen year old antenna now on the boat
is amplified, but often seems provide better reception when the power
to it is turned off. Many thanks for any help.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine

As most US stations are moving to the lower UHF channels and off VHF so the
greedy lawyers running the FCC can line their pockets selling the public's
airwaves in more auctions, you should concentrate on a UHF panel antenna.

This is great because it's not very big at all and it is amplified to make
up for the high loss of UHF in the coax down the mast. Get it as high as
you can, but NOT on top of the mast where the lightning this summer will
just eat it. They come in various mounting arrangements and it should
stand off the metal mast a few inches to the side would be best.

I have a Philips, which comes with a DC coupler to put the amp power onto
the coax with the RF. It's only 5' above my house and I can watch
Beaufort, SC, analog and digital at 40 miles and some nights great digital
from Savannah one hundred miles to the South of Charleston. I get 10
channels, analog and digital to a Hauppauge USB TV plug in my laptop.

America is in for a big shock when they find they can no longer watch TV
while cruising down the road or across the harbor. Very high speed digital
TV cannot tolerate the phase shifting that motion of the vehicle over about
5 mph creates. Even when you are staring at the 2000' towers running
megawatts of power, as soon as you start moving, the picture locks and
stays locked until you stop, once again, when it comes in perfect. The
plug comes with a little magnetic mount whip antenna for portable use.
But, TV in motion's days are ended.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

As most US stations are moving to the lower UHF channels and off VHF

This is, at best, temporary. Many will move back once analog goes offline.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote in
:

As most US stations are moving to the lower UHF channels and off VHF

This is, at best, temporary. Many will move back once analog goes
offline.

Nope. This is not true. They will remain on UHF, forever. FCC is selling
the low or high split of VHF....and the lucrative upper UHF channels to
Sellphone companies who hunger for more expensive bandwidth. There is, for
instance, a new 700 Mhz Sellphone TV band Verizon will soon be broadcasting
to Sellphones on for fun and profit.
http://gigaom.com/2007/03/14/700mhz-explained/
http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/def...actsheet&id=73

The greedy *******s are selling off the public's RF spectrum to the highest
bidders and using the money to shore up the Federal Gummit's financial
collapse as fast as possible. It's just like the National Park Service
selling Yellowstone to Disney for a new geothermal theme park.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote in
:

As most US stations are moving to the lower UHF channels and off VHF

This is, at best, temporary. Many will move back once analog goes
offline.

Here's some charts....

http://www.dailywireless.org/2007/04...ess-on-700mhz/

Channel 52 up is gone! The lower VHF channels are to be auctioned off,
probably TV 7 to 13. No new licenses for VHF TV are to be issued....

Your TV stations didn't invest millions of dollars in UHF transmitters,
transmission lines and antennas for DTV just to dump them and put up more
VHF transmitters in a couple of years. Just not gonna happen.....

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:42:11 +0000, Larry wrote:

America is in for a big shock when they find they can no longer watch TV
while cruising down the road or across the harbor. Very high speed digital
TV cannot tolerate the phase shifting that motion of the vehicle over about
5 mph creates.

Really? That sure is news to my satellite receiver which seems to
have no problem at any speed that I've run at.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Really? That sure is news to my satellite receiver which seems to
have no problem at any speed that I've run at.

Terrestrial ATSC local broadcast TV will not function in motion...

I said nothing about satellites. Clean your glasses.