posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Solar Panel

Larry wrote in news:Xns9A04ED704DCE7noonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

http://www.geoffschultz.org/BlueJack...ical/20061121_

095647.htm

Nice looking electrical installation, Geoffrey. I do have one
suggestion for the battery installation, though......to be taken
as constructive, I hope.

Let's flip the boat upside down and watch the battery box cover.

I don't see any locks on the deck that will hold it in place
against 500 pounds of batteries coming loose. I can't see any
battery hold downs, straps or otherwise in the picture, but maybe
you can enlighten me.

Larry,

The wood that you see on either side of the batteries is wedge shaped and
is screwed into the fiberglass. The photo is rather old and there are now
longer pieces which run the full length of the batteries and have 4 screws
in them (I think) per side. The screws would have to cut their way through
the fiberglass to let the battery fall. I feel rather secure with this
arrangement.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

The wood that you see on either side of the batteries is wedge

shaped
and is screwed into the fiberglass. The photo is rather old

and there
are now longer pieces which run the full length of the

batteries and
have 4 screws in them (I think) per side. The screws would

have to
cut their way through the fiberglass to let the battery fall.

I feel
rather secure with this arrangement.

Oh, ok. I see so many boat batteries just waiting to be dangling
from their crimp connectors.

Let's pitchpole it and see how the screws stand the POUNDING of
the surf, 90 miles at sea.......yecch.
It's not going to pitchpole at the dock, slowly rolling over to
slowly put the weight of the batteries on those screws. No, it's
going to roll over in pounding ocean waves that will make a 150
pound battery peak out with 5Gs of pounding force at 750 pounds,
each. If it'll suspend 750 pounds of dynamic force....it'll be
fine.

Larry
--
Merry Christmas!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qi_NhFS4xEE

Solar Panel Help Matt Colie Boat Building 9 December 26th 06 08:27 PM
Solar Panel Help Matt Colie Cruising 8 December 26th 06 08:27 PM
Solar Panel Help Matt Colie Electronics 8 December 26th 06 08:27 PM
solar panel question .. Benning Wentworth Cruising 9 October 7th 06 12:07 AM
Solar panel, Regulator Jim Cate Cruising 7 May 24th 04 04:31 AM