posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Nav & Position report pgm sharing GPS

"Cole Maze" wrote in news:475c3e36$0
:

OK, must admit...y're the MAN.
What is software worth these days...
Think I will go find another profession. Any suggestions?
Cole.

Buy a service boat and do sanitation pumpouts. My buddy Joe took
his Jenneau 40DS to Tortola. As they approached BVI, they went
to open the seacocks to dump the tiny sanitary tanks overboard at
sea, only to discover they were stuck shut and wouldn't open, not
good.

It cost Joe FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS to pump out two tiny 15 gallon
holding tanks in Tortola so they could take out the valves and
replace them. God know what that cost down there!

We're both in the wrong business!

Larry
--
Isn't it ironic that the same ISPs that are telling you
you're downloads threaten their networks......
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Jack Erbes wrote in news:475c9c80$0$2333
:

Sounds like Joe doesn't know his ****. :) Or ship either one.

But that is about a $5.00 fee around here if the pump out lines

are
working. But if you have to get it out the hard way I wouldn't

do it
for $500.

Did you read TORTOLA in my post? Pumpout is free, here....often if
you tip regularly. But, alas, in TORTOLA they get more...

Larry
--
Merry Christmas!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qi_NhFS4xEE
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Larry" wrote in message
I'M THE MAN!
http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads...rial-port.html
http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html
http://www.softslist.com/download-4-9-29679.html

These are all redirectors to TCP/IP....

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/B...com-ports.html

Aha, finally a similar product ("Share Serial ports"). Oops.... $111......

Oh and the generic serial port 'splitters' only allow incoming data to be
distributed to multiple virtual ports. VirtualPlex is only passing NMEA data
(discrete sentences) and can therefore also accept data from multiple
virtual ports and send it back to the master or hardware port without
creating garbage.

And VirtualPlex has always been 49 euros, which amounted to $39 a couple of
years ago, but since the value of the US dollar went down the drain....

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Meindert, Thank you, I have downloaded the virtualplex demo and am
having trouble getting the programs to recognize the virtual com
ports. I have restarted a couple of times and find that 1. device
manager does not see the virtual com ports,

Correct. This is because they are not linked to hardware devices and because
of the way the program creates these ports.

But every normal windows program should be able to open the ports. If they
are not listed in a port selection dialog, it is because of the way programs
find out which ports are present in a system. There is no uniform way to do
that and several methods do or don't come up with virtual ports.

airmail was told that the master port was busy.

Which is correct, since VirtualPlex opens the master port. So all other apps
should open one of the created virtual ports.

Regards,
Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Larry wrote in news:Xns9A01D8829B535noonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

Jack Erbes wrote in news:475c9c80$0$2333
:

Sounds like Joe doesn't know his ****. :) Or ship either one.

But that is about a $5.00 fee around here if the pump out lines

are
working. But if you have to get it out the hard way I wouldn't

do it
for $500.

Did you read TORTOLA in my post? Pumpout is free, here....often if
you tip regularly. But, alas, in TORTOLA they get more...

Larry

I'd like to know where you even find a pump-out in Tortola. When I was
last there with BlueJacket (1999 & 2000) there weren't any pumpouts and the
charter fleet didn't have holding tanks.

I remember clearing into Redhook in the USVIs and asking where I could find
a pump-out. They looked at me like I had 2 heads and finally came up with
a marina that was supposed to have had one. They had one that was buried
in the corner of the marina with a large boat blocking access to it...not
that it mattered anyhow as it hadn't worked in years.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

I'd like to know where you even find a pump-out in Tortola.

When I
was last there with BlueJacket (1999 & 2000) there weren't any
pumpouts and the charter fleet didn't have holding tanks.

I remember clearing into Redhook in the USVIs and asking where

I could
find a pump-out. They looked at me like I had 2 heads and

finally
came up with a marina that was supposed to have had one. They

had one
that was buried in the corner of the marina with a large boat

blocking
access to it...not that it mattered anyhow as it hadn't worked

in
years.

They had some kind of boat or barge come alongside and pump it
out. I didn't get all the gory details, once the price made me
lightheaded...(c;

Larry
--
Merry Christmas!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qi_NhFS4xEE
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Well, I am done with the passage that I wanted to use the virtual
port software on. It turned out to be easier to close the Capn, file
a position report on winlink for friends and family keeping track on
shore, reopen the Capn and sail to route....

In seven years in the Eastern Caribbean, I have never seen a pump out
or heard of people using holding tanks. One of the things I did while
waiting for weather was to install a new Y valve in case the marine
cops here in FL take an interest in my MSD. I have a virgin tiny
holding tank having replaced a full stinky one with a crack in the top
that came with the boat.

I intentionally put the PC into hibernate to save power and maintain
nav program - it assumes that you have been going in a straight line
while it has "lost the GPS" in hibernate. I like Peter's cable
splitter idea and may give it a shot using an old serial to USB
adapter.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 06:02:17 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I like Peter's cable
splitter idea and may give it a shot using an old serial to USB
adapter.

I have never been able to figure out why they use more than two wires
for a serial connection.

Casady

Flying Pig position report Larry Cruising 0 August 7th 07 02:35 AM
Worth Sharing Skipper General 0 December 11th 05 09:50 PM
VHF/DSC NMEA Out Position Report Pascal Goncalves Electronics 5 May 29th 05 02:27 PM
Sharing aerial with DSC VHF and AIS [email protected] Electronics 13 May 17th 05 12:15 AM
Yacht Sharing Mike Cruising 2 October 1st 03 10:35 PM