posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bob Bob is offline

Default SSB Reciever only WINRADIO G33EM ?

Hi:

Does anyone have any experince with a SSB reciever only by WinRadio WR-
G33EM ? Any thoughts??

http://www.winradio.com/home/g33em.htm

Thanks,

Bob
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bob wrote in news:4aa223d8-2ffc-4722-a2bc-
:

Does anyone have any experince with a SSB reciever only by

WinRadio WR-
G33EM ? Any thoughts??

Do you see the thread about RF noise wiping out HF SSB radios?

Do you see my answer about how the computers, NMEA, computerized
battery chargers, computerized inverters, computerized reefers
eat the HF reception up with RF noise generated by the DATA
circuitry all over the boat?

Do you think plugging your RF noisy laptop into a receiver that
only uses your laptop as a control panel is going to make that RF
noise source, your laptop and anything hooked to it, go away?

Case closed....NOT a good idea. If you want a receiver...buy
one. Winradio would be a good idea at a ham station where the
antenna WASN'T right on top of the computer....like in a boat.

Tell you what. First guy who wants to drop by Charleston for a
FREE, DIGITAL SSB RECEIVER...which happens to be part of an Alden
WEFAX machine that needs a new stylus and high voltage power
supply repair.........gets it......FREE!

I was gonna fix it, but with computers what's the point. The
receiver is HOT! Works great. FREE!

Larry
--
Isn't it ironic that the same ISPs that are telling you
you're downloads threaten their networks......

On Dec 3, 6:38 pm, Larry wrote:

Do you see the thread about RF noise wiping out HF SSB radios?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did read that with great interest.

Do you see my answer about how the computers, NMEA, computerized
battery chargers, computerized inverters, computerized reefers
eat the HF reception up with RF noise generated by the DATA
circuitry all over the boat?

Uhhh, ya. I think I know where youre going with
this....................

Do you think plugging your RF noisy laptop into a receiver that
only uses your laptop as a control panel is going to make that RF
noise source, your laptop and anything hooked to it, go away?

Got it.

Case closed....NOT a good idea. If you want a receiver...buy
one. Winradio would be a good idea at a ham station where the
antenna WASN'T right on top of the computer....like in a boat.

So help me out here. I am very ignorant regarding such electrical
wizardry. I would like to receve a weather fax. What is a reasonable
way to do that if I also have a laptop? I was looking at a stand alone
Furuno WFX but it was a bit spendy for me. SO I thought why not a ssb
reciever and laptop. Should I forget plugging a SSB reciever into a
laptop to get a weather fax cause of all the RF noise?

oh, what ever happend to the USCG killing the ssb weather broadcasts?
Is a ssb based wfx going to meet the same status as LORAN?

Bob
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bob wrote in news:d02bc68e-2fb5-427f-a83b-
:

Should I forget plugging a SSB reciever into a
laptop to get a weather fax cause of all the RF noise?

Not at all! The only thing is to try it. This receiver might or
might not be noise free with your laptop. That's impossible to
say. We're using HFFAX on a Dell Latitude notebook with the
headphone jack of an Icom M802 marine HF SSB plugged into the MIC
jack input of the laptop with great success.

Here's what the pix look like:
http://www.dxradio.co.uk/wefax/

SeaTTY 1.73 by DXSoft is also a great program that automates the
download quite nicely. Both these programs use the computer, not
some outside overprice "box" to decode the audio from your SSB
receiver. There's lots of info on the dxradio website for you,
with pointers to all the manufacturers so you can make your own
decision.

But, this is the old solution via an always noisy, painfully
slow, HF radio link that has nearly been discontinued a few
times. I like this solution better....direct!

http://www.hamtronics.com/r139.htm

Nothing beats looking straight down from space with a near-
realtime picture of what that front ahead of you looks like. The
freeware that uses your soundcard to decode the picture and
automatically stores the fax photos from space from it works
great.

All the information you need to get started is on the website.
It works in ANY weather on VHF, direct from the birds. All the
info you need to hook it up and make great satellite photos are
on the website.

Larry