posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default SSB Reciever only WINRADIO G33EM ?

Bob wrote in news:d02bc68e-2fb5-427f-a83b-
:

Should I forget plugging a SSB reciever into a
laptop to get a weather fax cause of all the RF noise?

Not at all! The only thing is to try it. This receiver might or
might not be noise free with your laptop. That's impossible to
say. We're using HFFAX on a Dell Latitude notebook with the
headphone jack of an Icom M802 marine HF SSB plugged into the MIC
jack input of the laptop with great success.

Here's what the pix look like:
http://www.dxradio.co.uk/wefax/

SeaTTY 1.73 by DXSoft is also a great program that automates the
download quite nicely. Both these programs use the computer, not
some outside overprice "box" to decode the audio from your SSB
receiver. There's lots of info on the dxradio website for you,
with pointers to all the manufacturers so you can make your own
decision.

But, this is the old solution via an always noisy, painfully
slow, HF radio link that has nearly been discontinued a few
times. I like this solution better....direct!

http://www.hamtronics.com/r139.htm

Nothing beats looking straight down from space with a near-
realtime picture of what that front ahead of you looks like. The
freeware that uses your soundcard to decode the picture and
automatically stores the fax photos from space from it works
great.

All the information you need to get started is on the website.
It works in ANY weather on VHF, direct from the birds. All the
info you need to hook it up and make great satellite photos are
on the website.

Larry
--
Isn't it ironic that the same ISPs that are telling you
you're downloads threaten their networks......