posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default WANTED: Solid State 300 to 600 watt HF Amplifier

I would like to buy a good quality solid state 300 to 600 watt HF amp,
like an SG-500 or similar.

The amp should be in good to excellent condition both physically and
electronically, with full output power.

The amp can operate off of 110vac or 13.8 vdc.

I can pay you with a cashier's check, post office money order or
PayPal...which ever you prefer.

If you have one available, please email me at

Thanks,

Bill
W7GSA

posted to rec.boats.electronics

wrote in news:1191716432.769032.56480
@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

I would like to buy a good quality solid state 300 to 600 watt HF amp,
like an SG-500 or similar.

The amp should be in good to excellent condition both physically and
electronically, with full output power.

The amp can operate off of 110vac or 13.8 vdc.

I can pay you with a cashier's check, post office money order or
PayPal...which ever you prefer.

If you have one available, please email me at

Thanks,

Bill
W7GSA

Bill, they are hard to find, but a Tentec Hercules II with the remote
control head would be a great little HF amp for the boat. I love
mine.....well, after I got rid of the Molex connectors, pushon spade
connectors, chinzy thin wiring and resoldered it all using fine-stranded
heavy wire the car stereo kiddies wire their kilowatt amps with.....

If you find one, they are easy to make real power houses out of, without
eating the expensive 8 output transistors in the 4 power amp modules.
I'm using #2 primary wire from the big golf cart batteries to a double
60A car stereo fuse block located in the intake air plenum in the back of
the amp. From that block, 4 separate #4 secondary wires go to the 4
separate current/control board inputs and from their outputs to the 4
separate push-pull power amps. All pushon terminal were used as solder
pads for the big, fine-stranded, cabling and hard soldered to reduce
series resistance and eliminate corrosion troubles. A large negative bus
connects the 4 power amps to battery negative using #2 wire, not the
chassis and good luck.

The completed amp at 13.5V input draws around 128A with the proper
antennas connected and puts out a nice, honest 650 to 680 watts....unless
you have a "kilowatt" screwdriver antenna that explodes like mine did...
(c;

I sent the antenna's charred remains back to High Sierra with a note it
was only 650 watts....(c;

When I have it installed next to my Yaesu FT-900, also trunk mounted with
the FT-900 control head stick mounted over the center console with the
Hercules II's remote power head, I connect the golf cart beasts in the
trunk to the diesel Mercedes 220D's main battery with #0 welding cable to
charge/run it. Alternator is a 180A truck plant off two separate-from-
the-original-pulleys belts. It slows the little 57hp 220D's engine down
about 120 RPM if you hold the throttle steady and whistle into the mic on
SSB or key up the RTTY/packet modem.

Antenna is a 15' homebrew bug catcher with Henry Allen's largest Texas
Bugcatcher Coil for 80-10 and it adds his largest long coil to tune in
the 160 meter band....160M mobile at high power is a fantastic night
travel companion. They don't believe you are mobile until a truck
passes.

73 DE W4CSC/M4
POWER is our FRIEND!

Larry