Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.electronics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 153
Default WiFi for boats

Ok, I know I should have payed attention back when this was a HUGH
Thread, BUT..... I now have an application for a wired (10bT/100bT)
Remote 802.11x "Device" that can connect a Laptop, via it's internal
Ethernet Port, back to my 802.11b Access Point, which is physically
2 miles up the beach from where the "Device" will be installed.

Seems like a "Close Neighbor" (within 10 Sq Miles) can sit out on
his BoatRamp and connect back to my "South" Access Point just using
his MacBook Laptop with the builtin WiFi and Antenna. It has very low
signal levels, but does connect and he is able to do Email, and Web
Surfing. So, now he wants to be able to use this from inside his
Cabin, and I need a "Device" that will allow him to use his LapTop
in the cabin, via Ethernet to the "Device", which will be located
down at the BoatHouse. I can deal with all the extra items, like
External Gain Antennas, POE (Power over Ethernet), ect, but I need
some suggestions on what the "Device" should be, and who makes the best
units.

In the planning, I would also like the option of being able to add
a second "Device", not nessesarily the same model or type as the first,
that could be connected to the first, via it's Ethernet Port, that would
allow multiple other Clients to connect back thru the first "Device" to
my network.

I remember that all this was dicussed, IN Detail, but rather than
sift thru all the previous posts again, it would be really handy
if one of the difinitive Marine Wireless Guru's would post what
he has found as a "Working System", for the Group, and fill me in.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
  #2   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.electronics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 4
Default WiFi for boats

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
Ok, I know I should have payed attention back when this was a HUGH
Thread, BUT..... I now have an application for a wired (10bT/100bT)
Remote 802.11x "Device" that can connect a Laptop, via it's internal
Ethernet Port, back to my 802.11b Access Point, which is physically
2 miles up the beach from where the "Device" will be installed.

Seems like a "Close Neighbor" (within 10 Sq Miles) can sit out on
his BoatRamp and connect back to my "South" Access Point just using
his MacBook Laptop with the builtin WiFi and Antenna. It has very low
signal levels, but does connect and he is able to do Email, and Web
Surfing. So, now he wants to be able to use this from inside his
Cabin, and I need a "Device" that will allow him to use his LapTop
in the cabin, via Ethernet to the "Device", which will be located
down at the BoatHouse. I can deal with all the extra items, like
External Gain Antennas, POE (Power over Ethernet), ect, but I need
some suggestions on what the "Device" should be, and who makes the best
units.

In the planning, I would also like the option of being able to add
a second "Device", not nessesarily the same model or type as the first,
that could be connected to the first, via it's Ethernet Port, that would
allow multiple other Clients to connect back thru the first "Device" to
my network.

I remember that all this was dicussed, IN Detail, but rather than
sift thru all the previous posts again, it would be really handy
if one of the difinitive Marine Wireless Guru's would post what
he has found as a "Working System", for the Group, and fill me in.

Bruce in alaska


Most people around here use DD-WRT Firmware linksys WRT54GLs, Setup in
client mode. You may want to search around in this group for more
information. Basically you 'flash' the router firmware with DD-WRT
which is available from http://www.dd-wrt.com/ then configure it.
  #3   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.electronics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 96
Default WiFi for boats

Bruce,

Check this out.

http://www.wlanmall.com/images/items/pdf/CB54E_d.pdf

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem


  #4   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.electronics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 153
Default WiFi for boats

In article ,
Bruce in Alaska wrote:

Bruce in alaska


thanks for the info, guys, now I have a place to start....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
  #5   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.electronics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 454
Default WiFi for boats

"Ansley W. Sawyer" wrote in
news
Bruce,

Check this out.

http://www.wlanmall.com/images/items/pdf/CB54E_d.pdf

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem


Can someone explain what "21 dBm" and "Up to 40 EIRP (dBi)" means in the
transmit power section of the above PDF file?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org


  #6   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.electronics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 33
Default WiFi for boats

Geoff Schultz wrote:


Can someone explain what "21 dBm" and "Up to 40 EIRP (dBi)" means in the
transmit power section of the above PDF file?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org


21 dBm is 21 dB above 1 mw of power ~105x. 40 dBi EIRP is 40 dB
(10,000x) up on the isotropic (radiated in a sphere) radiated power and
usually refers to a directional antenna gain but such a large number
must include the transmitter power probably relative to 1 mW.
Dick
  #7   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.electronics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 454
Default WiFi for boats

Richard Lane wrote in
:

Geoff Schultz wrote:


Can someone explain what "21 dBm" and "Up to 40 EIRP (dBi)" means in
the transmit power section of the above PDF file?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org


21 dBm is 21 dB above 1 mw of power ~105x. 40 dBi EIRP is 40 dB
(10,000x) up on the isotropic (radiated in a sphere) radiated power
and usually refers to a directional antenna gain but such a large
number must include the transmitter power probably relative to 1 mW.
Dick


I'm used to seeing transmit power listed in mW. So from this can I assume
that the transmit power is 105 mW? I still really don't understand what
the EIRP means.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
  #8   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.electronics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 33
Default WiFi for boats

Geoff Schultz wrote:
Richard Lane wrote in
:

Geoff Schultz wrote:

Can someone explain what "21 dBm" and "Up to 40 EIRP (dBi)" means in
the transmit power section of the above PDF file?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

21 dBm is 21 dB above 1 mw of power ~105x. 40 dBi EIRP is 40 dB
(10,000x) up on the isotropic (radiated in a sphere) radiated power
and usually refers to a directional antenna gain but such a large
number must include the transmitter power probably relative to 1 mW.
Dick


I'm used to seeing transmit power listed in mW. So from this can I assume
that the transmit power is 105 mW? I still really don't understand what
the EIRP means.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

EIRP Effective Isotropic Radiated Power.
Dick
  #9   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.electronics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 454
Default WiFi for boats

Richard Lane wrote in
:

Geoff Schultz wrote:
Richard Lane wrote in
:

Geoff Schultz wrote:

Can someone explain what "21 dBm" and "Up to 40 EIRP (dBi)" means
in the transmit power section of the above PDF file?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
21 dBm is 21 dB above 1 mw of power ~105x. 40 dBi EIRP is 40 dB
(10,000x) up on the isotropic (radiated in a sphere) radiated power
and usually refers to a directional antenna gain but such a large
number must include the transmitter power probably relative to 1 mW.
Dick


I'm used to seeing transmit power listed in mW. So from this can I
assume that the transmit power is 105 mW? I still really don't
understand what the EIRP means.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

EIRP Effective Isotropic Radiated Power.
Dick


I guess that I'm just really slow or you can't interpert my questions:

Can someone explain what "21 dBm" and "Up to 40 EIRP (dBi)" means
in the transmit power section of the above PDF file?


and

So from this can I assume that the transmit power is 105 mW?


A simple yes or no would be sufficient. If "No", what is the actual
transmit power?


-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
  #10   Report Post  
posted to rec.boats.electronics
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 153
Default WiFi for boats

In article ,
Geoff Schultz wrote:

Richard Lane wrote in
:

Geoff Schultz wrote:
Richard Lane wrote in
:

Geoff Schultz wrote:

Can someone explain what "21 dBm" and "Up to 40 EIRP (dBi)" means
in the transmit power section of the above PDF file?

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org
21 dBm is 21 dB above 1 mw of power ~105x. 40 dBi EIRP is 40 dB
(10,000x) up on the isotropic (radiated in a sphere) radiated power
and usually refers to a directional antenna gain but such a large
number must include the transmitter power probably relative to 1 mW.
Dick

I'm used to seeing transmit power listed in mW. So from this can I
assume that the transmit power is 105 mW? I still really don't
understand what the EIRP means.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

EIRP Effective Isotropic Radiated Power.
Dick


I guess that I'm just really slow or you can't interpert my questions:

Can someone explain what "21 dBm" and "Up to 40 EIRP (dBi)" means
in the transmit power section of the above PDF file?


and

So from this can I assume that the transmit power is 105 mW?


A simple yes or no would be sufficient. If "No", what is the actual
transmit power?


-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org


Ok, Geoff, I'll explain it ....... ERP = Effective Radiated Power
This is Output Power + Antenna Gain - Feedline Loss
It can be expressed in dbm = db Referenced to 1 Milliwatt, OR
it can be expressed directly in Watts or Milliwatts, as well

EIRP = Effective Isotropic Radiated Power
This is Output Power - Feedline Loss without any Antenna Gain
it can be expressed in dbmi = dbm referenced to 1 Milliwatt, Isotropic.
It can also be expressed directly in Watts or Milliwatts as well.

All that Isotropic means is that you are NOT concerned with the Antenna,
or it's Gain or loss, in these power calculations or expressions.


Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WiFi and Cellular Internet on Boats Alan Spicer Cruising 9 July 10th 07 07:45 AM
WiFi again. capt.bill11 Electronics 32 February 5th 07 05:46 PM
New WiFi Adapter Wayne.B Cruising 10 July 22nd 06 07:30 PM
wifi improvement Skip Gundlach Boat Building 20 May 31st 05 09:02 PM
wifi improvement Skip Gundlach Cruising 26 May 31st 05 09:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 BoatBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Boats"

 

Copyright © 2017