posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Help connecting a pc with nav software to a furuno AIS...

Hi,
I'm trying to connect a PC with Nav software to the I/O interface on a
furuno f100 (pc/lan serial output). The connection is a 9 pin serial
to a standard lan cable connection (rj45). How do I set up the PC/LAN
to accept the signal?
Thanks

posted to rec.boats.electronics

wrote in news:1186396234.392745.136950
@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

Hi,
I'm trying to connect a PC with Nav software to the I/O interface on a
furuno f100 (pc/lan serial output). The connection is a 9 pin serial
to a standard lan cable connection (rj45). How do I set up the PC/LAN
to accept the signal?
Thanks

Because there is absolutely no similarity between serial data coming out
of the Furuno and TCP/IP protocol the LAN uses for its data packets, you
must buy an expensive interface module to accomplish this feat. The
module takes the data from the serial port, stores it and creates TCP/IP
packets any LAN user can call up until the next packet is ready, then
sends it out to the calling LAN user who connects to it.

These interfaces come with "virtual serial port" softwares to install on
the computers that convert the TCP/IP packets back into serial data,
complete with a spoofed serial port for the O/S to access.

I'm using this system to connect our NMEA multiplexer, a Noland, to a
wireless router, a Netgear, that I can connect laptops to running The
Cap'n NAV software. The Cap'n expects to see a dumb serial port, and the
"virtual serial port" software gives it just what it's looking for...once
the software has found and connected to the interface device through the
wireless LAN. I can lay in my beanbag, laptop in my lap, and drive the
boat from anywhere aboard. Multiple computers can also access the
device, simultaneously, to get the last data packet, up to 16 connections
I think.

The device I'm using is called a "Webfoot". Of course, since it is over
3 months old, now, it has been discontinued, its company bankrupt,
probably. There are lots better devices, now, even some with serial-
direct-to-wifi like this company produces:
http://www.aaxeon.com/products/serialtoethernet.aspx
for $157, eliminating my wireless router. Very neat indeed.
Google for "serial to ethernet interface" and take your pick. I've never
seen aaxeon's devices but they look very nice for $100.

This is what you are looking for to connect these two incompatible
domains.

Now, forgetting all that nonsense, Radio Shack (and many other places)
has a Serial to USB cable for $15. It will allow you to plug your serial
data into the computer's USB port, which does not require much conversion
like the other solution. It also comes with software to make your nav
software think it's connecting to a serial port. If you don't HAVE to
have this Ethernet connection, it's much simpler and requires ZERO
configuration to make it work....a much more KISS solution to be sure.
Google "serial to USB adapter" and take your pick....CHEAP!

Larry
--
Democrats are raising taxes on oil companies by $16,000,000,000.
Oil companies don't pay taxes, just like every other company.

Larry wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to connect a PC with Nav software to the I/O interface on a
furuno f100 (pc/lan serial output). The connection is a 9 pin serial
to a standard lan cable connection (rj45). How do I set up the PC/LAN
to accept the signal?
Thanks

Maybe this can get'r done for around 30USD:

http://www.siteplayer.com/telnet/index.html

HTH

Vic
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Here is a free program to convert TCP/UDP packets to RS232 serial port:
http://www.sailsoft.nl/ipanema.htm
Could this do the job for you?

"Victor Fraenckel" schreef in bericht