posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default NMEA stops and starts at random (garmin GPS 12)

I have a garmin gps 12 that is connected to a raymarine interface and
then to a com port on the PC. Last year everything worked perfect. This
year the green LED in the interface (NMEA-led) stops and start when he
wants.
I cleaned all contacts, checked all the wires, stopped the PC and the
DSC radio, but nothing helps.
I called a technician. He said something about the minus (-) is
connected to the ??? in the pc. I needed a special device to solve that.

Has anybody more info about that error??

Geert Maene

Geert Maene wrote:
I have a garmin gps 12 that is connected to a raymarine interface and
then to a com port on the PC. Last year everything worked perfect. This
year the green LED in the interface (NMEA-led) stops and start when he
wants.
I cleaned all contacts, checked all the wires, stopped the PC and the
DSC radio, but nothing helps.
I called a technician. He said something about the minus (-) is
connected to the ??? in the pc. I needed a special device to solve that.

Has anybody more info about that error??

There would be two wires from the GPS with data, they would be white and
brown and are called Data In (white) and Data Out (brown). Maybe he is
saying that one of those two wires is being shorted (intermittently?) to
the black ground wire.

Sometimes the ground wire on a GPS receiver's RS-232 serial connector
needs to be grounded to the same ground as the device that it is
connected to. If that is the case here, temporarily grounding the black
wire in the serial cable to the PC and/or DSC radio might test that
theory.

Jack

Geert Maene wrote:
I have a garmin gps 12 that is connected to a raymarine interface and
then to a com port on the PC. Last year everything worked perfect.
This year the green LED in the interface (NMEA-led) stops and start
when he wants.
I cleaned all contacts, checked all the wires, stopped the PC and the
DSC radio, but nothing helps.
I called a technician. He said something about the minus (-) is
connected to the ??? in the pc. I needed a special device to solve
that.

Has anybody more info about that error??

Geert Maene

Data-in from the GPS12 goes to pin 2 at the RS232 plug, data-out from the PC
goes through pin 3 on the RS232 plug to data-in on the GPS12. Pin 5 on the
RS232 should go to a ground (-ve) lead.

Years ago, it was also desirable to connect pin 4 to pin 6, and pin 7 to pin
8 within the 9-pin plug, but these were in the days of modem handshaking and
MSDOS, and it is no longer necessary.

Looking at the plug end on, Pin 1 is the topmost rightmost pin, so when you
are soldering from the back, pin 2 becomes the second from the left, 3 is
third from left, and 5 is the righmost pin, all in the top row (widest row).

You can get the 4-pin Garmin wiring from the Garmin website, as this can
also carry power to the Garmin instrument from a 12-volt source. It is
doubtful whether the Garmin 4-pin plug has been wired incorrectly unless
some person has re-wired it.

Dennis.