posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Do I need an NMEA multiplexer ?

Hello Group

Started the installation of an easyais unit today initially tried to
get the 4800 baud data into the NMEA port input on the s3 corepack but
it seems that it does not re transmit the data back out from the
corepack into the c70 plotter.

The AIS works great straight into the plotter at 4800 baud but that
means discopnnection of the S3 and means no heading data to the c70.

So will i need a multiplexer / combiner ?

my sys

C70 (at helm) ST6001 AP head , st60 wind speed log etc.
S3 corepack with external rate gyro with seatalk in and out also
sending nmea 0183 to C70

I do have a raymarine interface at helm which has seatalk input and
NMEA out to feed navtex and VHF (nmea) but this does not have a
seatalk return back up to the nav gear.

I really thought I might get away with just poking the ais into the S3
and have it retransmit back onto the seatalk or nmea network but now I
have given this a bit more thought it seems unliklely

Any suggestions on budget multiplexor appreciated

TIA

franky

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Franky" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Group

Started the installation of an easyais unit today initially tried to
get the 4800 baud data into the NMEA port input on the s3 corepack but
it seems that it does not re transmit the data back out from the
corepack into the c70 plotter.

The AIS works great straight into the plotter at 4800 baud but that
means discopnnection of the S3 and means no heading data to the c70.

So will i need a multiplexer / combiner ?

Yes. First of all, setting the AIS receiver to 4800 is not wise in areas
with dense shipping because the bandwidth of a 4800 baud channel can be a
severe limitation.

We sell the MiniPlex-AIS, which is specially designed for use with
Raymarine's C/E displays. It is basically the same multiplexer as the one
Raymarine sells (the E55059, which we also produce), but with one 38400
input and the output cranked up to 38400 as well.

I see you're in the UK. We have a few dealers there and if they don't have
it in stock, we can ship to you directly.

Meindert
www.shipmodul.com

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Jun 18, 2:32 am, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:
"Franky" wrote in message

[...]

The NMEA input on the autopilot does not recognize AIS sentances
(neither does the nmea input on the ST6001 head), and requires
connection direct to the chartplotter unless your AIS product has an
nmea-in port (4800) that will rebroadcast your rapid heading
information in with the AIS 38400 speed data.

Cheap navigation system Gilligan ASA 8 October 11th 06 10:35 PM
A question about NMEA, AIS and Raymarine Pascal Electronics 21 May 18th 06 02:18 PM
NMEA to Multiplexer to Yeoman Connection autopilot Electronics 13 September 28th 05 09:25 PM
NMEA to Multiplexer to Yeoman Connection help please autopilot Electronics 0 September 22nd 05 08:48 PM
Connect Raymarine ST60 Multi to laptop Phil Stanton Electronics 13 May 31st 05 10:36 PM