Junior Member

Default NMEA to Multiplexer to Yeoman Connection

Help please

I have a Ray marine set-up C120, Auto pilot SG3 etc, I have just bought a shipmodul NMEA multiplexer and a Yeoman at the boat show, I started reading all the manuals and have gone into info’ overload.

Can anyone direct me to a schematic on how to get these talking to each other and where on the existing system I can get a NMEA feed from and back into it.

Is there any pc software that makes use of NMEA information and displays, I am already running maptech.

Much appreciate the help in advance.
Meindert Sprang

"autopilot" wrote in message

Help please

I have a Ray marine set-up C120, Auto pilot SG3 etc, I have just bought
a shipmodul NMEA multiplexer and a Yeoman at the boat show, I started
reading all the manuals and have gone into info' overload.

Can anyone direct me to a schematic on how to get these talking to each
other and where on the existing system I can get a NMEA feed from and
back into it.

Is there any pc software that makes use of NMEA information and
displays, I am already running maptech.

Much appreciate the help in advance.

Hello, I'll try to work out your setup. But first I need to know the type of
multiplexer oyu bought, a -41 or -42, serial, USB or Bluetooth?
What will be the function of the C120? Are you going to use the PC as
primary navigation system?

Meindert
ShipModul

Larry

autopilot wrote in
:

I would also like to see radar on the pc?

Me, too. Lemme know when you can get radar video through that slow serial
modem to sync with the charts....(c;

--
Larry
Kees Verruijt

autopilot wrote:
The [NMEA] multiplexer is 42 BT
I would also like to see radar on the pc?

There's only a few ways available to you in getting a full radar display
on your PC, and NMEA ain't it...

1) Koden (resold by Nobeltec, SciTex)
2) Furuno + Maxsea
3) Raytech with HSB-2 interface

You can get MARPA targets and a lollipop transferred thru NMEA, but
that's probably not what you're looking for.

For now, given your self-proclaimed info overload, I would forget about
this.

--
Kees

Kees Verruijt

autopilot wrote:
Hi Meindert

The multiplexer is 42 BT

The ps is secondary navigation for AIS and night time use / back up, I
want to be able to click on the yeoman and load a track and it appear
on the C120.

You need a single NMEA - Seatalk and a single Seatalk - NMEA
conversion somewhere. For reliability I would use the NMEA input and
output offered by your S3G course computer.

You haven't mentioned what brand of GPS you have. Assume it's raymarine,
then the desired picture is:

S3G NMEA out - 42 BT input 1
Yeoman out - 42 BT input 2
42 BT output 1 - S3G NMEA in
+- Yeoman in

42 BT on Bluetooth -- PC

Have fun,

Kees
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees Verruijt
autopilot wrote:
Hi Meindert

The multiplexer is 42 BT

The ps is secondary navigation for AIS and night time use / back up, I
want to be able to click on the yeoman and load a track and it appear
on the C120.

You need a single NMEA - Seatalk and a single Seatalk - NMEA
conversion somewhere. For reliability I would use the NMEA input and
output offered by your S3G course computer.

You haven't mentioned what brand of GPS you have. Assume it's raymarine,
then the desired picture is:

S3G NMEA out - 42 BT input 1
Yeoman out - 42 BT input 2
42 BT output 1 - S3G NMEA in
+- Yeoman in

42 BT on Bluetooth -- PC

Have fun,

Kees
Thanks Kees

I understand the 42 BT can convert seatalk to NMEA on inputs 4a 4b, so I was hoping someone might of already gone through the pain to get the best result for the set-up.

Could I ask Meindert if he agrees this is the way to get the best out of the 42 BT?

I've got the feeling your solution is the right way Kees, thanks again.

Regards
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopilot
Thanks Kees

I understand the 42 BT can convert seatalk to NMEA on inputs 4a 4b, so I was hoping someone might of already gone through the pain to get the best result for the set-up.

Could I ask Meindert if he agrees this is the way to get the best out of the 42 BT?

I've got the feeling your solution is the right way Kees, thanks again.

Regards
Following Kees suggestions I have the yeoman working and have data, but I can't send waypoints to the chart plotter from the yeoman, also I don't seem to be able to benefit from data for winchart on my pc?
Larry

autopilot wrote in
:

Following Kees suggestions I have the yeoman working and have data, but
I can't send waypoints to the chart plotter from the yeoman, also I
don't seem to be able to benefit from data for winchart on my pc?

My Yeoman XL pinout data shows:

Data Spec
NMEA 0183 4800 Baud
8 Data
No parity
1 stop

NMEA 0183-1 As NMEA 0183 (Adds 100 to waypoint number on output)
NMEA 0183-2 As NMEA 0183 (Adds 200 to waypoint number on output)
NMEA 0182 1200 Baud
8 Data (MSB set to 1)
Odd parity
1 stop

Navstar 2000 110 Baud
8 Data
No parity
1 stop

These are the speeds it runs when it is set to the various output data
streams. Make sure your multiplexer and chartplotters are set to the
correct speeds to receive it. Mine wasn't and it took a while. I had to
slow the whole boat's 0183 data streams down to 4800 baud, 8-N-1 just to
get it all to listen to the slow Yeoman data stream to get waypoints. It
won't run 9600 baud, darn it... At 4800 the system seems to be plenty
fast..... Your Yeoman manual shows how to switch output data streams
between these. Ours is set to 0183-1 adding 100 to the waypoint number so
I can see on the chart plotters and computer all waypoints in the 100 range
came from the Yeoman, not the plotters or computer. Reduces (but doesn't
eliminate, of course) confusion....sort of....(c;

Another Yeoman issue is:
Voltages
O/P voltage TTL levels (0-5V)
Sources 50 mA

Don't hook it anyplace else but the multiplexer or the TTL voltage will
suffer driving two loads. It'll only put out 50ma...output.

System:
Raymarine RL70CRC-H radar display/chart plotter
w/Seatalk gyro-compass, WAAS-GPS, (compass normally off NMEA bus)
Garmin 185 chart plotter/sonar (backup GPS normally off NMEA bus)
Noland NMEA 4-port multiplexer
Icom M-602 VHF DSC
Icom M-802 HF-SSB-DSC
B&G "Network" (NMEA 0183) instruments, Pilot, Data display, compass sensor
(better than Raymarine's)
Yeoman XL boards removed from portable foam lap board and mounted to bottom
of mahogany chart table top to energize chart table....firmware upgraded...

Let me know if you want to know what I did to get the Yeoman to work under
the chart table. Works great without the Yeoman's workspace cluttering up
the place...(c;

--
Larry - 3rd mate, engineering
S/V "Lionheart"
Kees Verruijt

autopilot wrote:
autopilot Wrote:

Thanks Kees

I understand the 42 BT can convert seatalk to NMEA on inputs 4a 4b, so
I was hoping someone might of already gone through the pain to get the
best result for the set-up.

Could I ask Meindert if he agrees this is the way to get the best out
of the 42 BT?

I've got the feeling your solution is the right way Kees, thanks
again.

Regards

Following Kees suggestions I have the yeoman working and have data, but
I can't send waypoints to the chart plotter from the yeoman, also I
don't seem to be able to benefit from data for winchart on my pc?

Hi 'autopilot',

I'm haven't tried sending waypoints _to_ the Yeoman; I use mine only to
send waypoints from Yeoman to GPS, does that work? I guess one problem
would be what the name of the waypoint would be, as the Yeoman only has
numeric waypoint ID's, and formatted z9999 as well (eg. 00001, 00002
etc.) if I remember correctly.

I also don't understand what you're trying to accomplish specifically
with Winchart, please elaborate a little. When you do, please also tell
us what _does_ work (e.g. do you get GPS data in Winchart? Then at least
one direction is OK.)

Note that there are many different NMEA sentences; it's like a maze of
twisty passages, all different. You may have to experiment with any and
all equipment's NMEA sentence settings.

--
Kees