posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Charging Load Distribution Center

Hi,
I have just about finished the updating of my live-aboard boat's
electrical system.
After adding all this stuff a concern has arisen.
With all of todays concern about wasting energy, and the cost thereof,
I am thinking 'is there a way to utilize all the wasted energy from
all the various charging systems after the batteries are charged?
Todays cruising boats, yes mine does still 'go', have a multitude of
charging devices. Engine alternators (cruising), wind chargers (24/7),
solar panels (12/7) etc. My Inverter/Charger should probably be left
out of the equation.
Does anyone know of an inexpensive black box (oxymoron) that would
gather all these sources, combine them, presumably by equalizing the
various voltages into one common voltage, then run this output through
a smart charger device that would charge all the engine and start
batteries and then redirect the surplus power left over from the float
charge to, say, a water heater element or other useful resistive
load?
It would appear to be simple, but then I am a mechanical engineer not
an EE :-)

Just thought.

David

posted to rec.boats.electronics
WBH WBH is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
| Hi,
| I have just about finished the updating of my live-aboard boat's
| electrical system.
| After adding all this stuff a concern has arisen.
| With all of todays concern about wasting energy, and the cost thereof,
| I am thinking 'is there a way to utilize all the wasted energy from
| all the various charging systems after the batteries are charged?
| Todays cruising boats, yes mine does still 'go', have a multitude of
| charging devices. Engine alternators (cruising), wind chargers (24/7),
| solar panels (12/7) etc. My Inverter/Charger should probably be left
| out of the equation.
| Does anyone know of an inexpensive black box (oxymoron) that would
| gather all these sources, combine them, presumably by equalizing the
| various voltages into one common voltage, then run this output through
| a smart charger device that would charge all the engine and start
| batteries and then redirect the surplus power left over from the float
| charge to, say, a water heater element or other useful resistive
| load?
| It would appear to be simple, but then I am a mechanical engineer not
| an EE :-)
|
| Just thought.
|
| David

It seems the best way to 'store' your surplus energy is to increase the
capacity of your service battery bank or use it for refrigeration.
Wout

Good info Sailaway Boat Building 2 June 29th 06 12:19 PM
Good info Sailaway Cruising 2 June 29th 06 12:19 PM
What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
Deep cycle batteries - miscellaneous advice? Ric Electronics 15 December 29th 03 10:20 AM
alternator charging to high? Richard Malcolm Electronics 8 August 20th 03 10:57 AM