posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Software Availability

I'm a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary and had an interesting
question posed today. Is there a piece of commercially available
software that will translate the lat/long data transmitted from a DSC
radio call into a data stream that can be used to plot that lat/long
on a PC running something like MapSource?

Anyone got any ideas or information that I can track down? One of the
Auxiliary's missions is to provide Search and Rescue support to the
Active Coast Guard and something like this (that is also affordable)
would be a boon to our mission.

Thanks!

Ken

definer wrote:
I'm a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary and had an interesting
question posed today. Is there a piece of commercially available
software that will translate the lat/long data transmitted from a DSC
radio call into a data stream that can be used to plot that lat/long
on a PC running something like MapSource?

Anyone got any ideas or information that I can track down? One of the
Auxiliary's missions is to provide Search and Rescue support to the
Active Coast Guard and something like this (that is also affordable)
would be a boon to our mission.

Thanks!

Ken

Running the mouse over a chart or map using any of the available software
applications will show you the Lat/long of the mouse cursor, but if you
require direct translation from the incoming signal, I do not know of any
available software which does this.

However since many companies now use gps to plot where their vehicles are,
maybe something along those lines would be the answer?

Dennis.

Dennis.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
krj krj is offline

definer wrote:
I'm a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary and had an interesting
question posed today. Is there a piece of commercially available
software that will translate the lat/long data transmitted from a DSC
radio call into a data stream that can be used to plot that lat/long
on a PC running something like MapSource?

Anyone got any ideas or information that I can track down? One of the
Auxiliary's missions is to provide Search and Rescue support to the
Active Coast Guard and something like this (that is also affordable)
would be a boon to our mission.

Thanks!

Ken

Nobeltec Navigation software will display DSC, AIS, and GPS NMEA
lat/long info.

definer wrote:
I'm a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary and had an interesting
question posed today. Is there a piece of commercially available
software that will translate the lat/long data transmitted from a DSC
radio call into a data stream that can be used to plot that lat/long
on a PC running something like MapSource?

Anyone got any ideas or information that I can track down? One of the
Auxiliary's missions is to provide Search and Rescue support to the
Active Coast Guard and something like this (that is also affordable)
would be a boon to our mission.

Thanks!

Ken

This may be of interest to you - http://www.aprspoint.com/.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
WBH WBH is offline

Hi,
My company -Brookhouse- makes NMEA multiplexers with a special feature
'editing on the fly', which allows the user to modify or convert NMEA
sentences real time, as they flow through the multiplexer.
We could take the radio call DSC sentence, lift out the lat/lon and MMSI
number and create a WPL (waypoint) NMEA sentence, whereby the MMSI number
could be used as the waypoint name.
By sending the WPL sentence to any chartplotter or navigation program, the
postion with MMSI number can be displayed in the electronic chart as a
waypoint, where one could subsequently navigate to.
Does that sound suitable for what you would like to achieve?
The 'programming' of the multiplexer is done using easy to use directives
described he
http://www.brookhouseonline.com/pdf%...nipulation.pdf
If you can provide a few sample DSC sentences for testing, I'll be happy to
make the script file and post it here. Brookhouse multiplexer owners may be
interested to copy and paste the script and load it in their multiplexers
with a terminal program such as Hyperterminal.

Wout

"definer" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Do you mean a device that listens for DSC and then transmits that data via
serial or USB? As in, a listener for your PC that would pickup any DSC data
it hears.

Do any of the existing VHF radios that have NMEA interfaces do this?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Standard Horizon VHF's have DSC NMEA sentence output which will work
directly with their GPS plotters. You should be able to use the
Brookhouse multiplexer and make it work with any GPS plotter that
recognizes the WPL sentence.

Eric