posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Pactor by soundcard

That is what I really want - I want GRIBs

GRIBs and a large selection of wx graphics on winlink downloaded on
request (within propagation windows) on P3 is a wonderful "offline"
access. Well worth the expensive SCS modem and license if you are
going offshore, out of range of other download options.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I'm with Larry on the amazing results with PSK31. I have worked contacts
in the UK, Europe and S. America aboard my boat in S. Florida using
20-30 watts. If you hams haven't experimented with PSK and other HF
digital modes you are missing a lot.

Not being a full-time cruiser, I can't justify the Pactor 2/3 expense.
Getting e-mail out with PSK would be no problem -- you can always find
people willing to forward e-mail messages. Incoming is a different
matter: there is no infrastructure for message retrieval.

Because it's not a plug-n-play solution, I don't see PSK HF digital
e-mail for cruisers reaching mass appeal (even with the dropping of
morse code). On the other hand, it wouldn't take much support to fashion
a workable text-based mail system using it.

Check out PSK. It's amazing.

HS

Now all you need is someone you can call with a working email client
willing to copy your emails from his email window to the WinWarbler
transmit window and from your Winwarbler reply back to his email client's
window for reply. You don't need no stinking sailmail...(c;

Larry

posted to rec.boats.electronics
krj krj is offline

hank wrote:
[...]

Check out the thruput of PSK31 vs Pactor III.