posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Marina Information

Active Captain has added a new feature to allow us to enter
anchorages, not just marina's, and it works well.

I had earlier created a marina in the middle of San Francisco Bay and
another in Long Island Sound, to mark two favorite anchorage areas.
Certainly not what the authors intended, but I felt they were just as
important as entering information on marina's. The latest update of
the software allows you to enter anchorages now, and it does it quite
well in that it has a meaningful rating system incorporated, beyond
the 1-5 star rating system for Marina's. I have since converted those
two marina's to "anchorages", here is a copy of what I wrote for the
one on Long Island

**** screen capture ****
(5 stars) You Gotta Love This Anchorage, 2007-02-13
Captain: b393capt, Huntington, NY (690)

Great View, no waves, some wind, 360 Degree View, 300 of which is a
tree line in almost all directions. Numerous moorings around, but
still pleanty of space to anchor. Local's often swim off the backs of
their boats.

Individual ratings given:
5: Overall rating (excellent)
4: Current protection (good)
3: Holding (average)
3: Wind protection (average)
5: Wake protection (excellent)
5: Scenery quality (excellent)
1: Shopping facilities (poor)

Prev [Page 1 of 1] Next
*** screen capture ends ****

... could probably use a zero (0) rating in additoin to 1 thru 5, as in
this case there just are not shopping facilities, but otherwise this
rating system gets right to the point. I image when they add the cell
phone support, I could create a query that would allow me to filter
those ratings that matter for me when I travel with my daughter
(shopping = 4) vs when I want to find someplace overnight or deal
with a storm (protection =4), or someplace to find read a book or
find inspiration (scnery = 5) or persperation (Holding 2)

Check it out.
b393capt