posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Flexible solar panels?

Please identify makers and vendors for flexible solar panels suitable for a curved boat deck.

Yes, i know they're less efficient.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Solara, Hamburg, Germany. The only one I could find.
Excellent product. Highly efficient panels. I've got 3 x 40W, rather expensive but worth it I think. They had a bit of bad press here because of a warranty problem, but that may have been due to a communication problem. A direct phone call to their customer services dept. might have helped.
Plano

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message ...
Please identify makers and vendors for flexible solar panels suitable for a curved boat deck.

Yes, i know they're less efficient.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len Len is offline

Jim,

http://www.sunware.de/Index_US.htm
I've got the shade-resistant ones, SW 54/1 SRM2 and indeed the shade
has less effect, it only halves the efficiency instead of devide it by
10. I must say the highest value I get out f 'm was 2 amps a piece.

Jim Conlin schreef:
Please identify makers and vendors for flexible solar panels suitable for a curved boat deck.

Yes, i know they're less efficient.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

As the person who has had the warranty problem with Solara AG, I can
assure you that I've done everything possible to communicate with the
company. I have dozens of e-mails to them. The problem is that they
just stopped answering my e-mail. I was having a very good exchange
with their export manager until he just stopped replying. Once I posted
my problems with Solara AG on the Internet they decided to re-open the
conversation.

Please also note that it wasn't just me that they were ignoring. They
were ignoring the US distributor and the dealer who sold it to me. I
will also state that I e-mailed their general info address and the
president and received no response. My phone calls to the export
manager weren't returned. There is no customer service number and
whoever answers their general number only speaks German, which is
definately limiting.

I will also state that others appear to be having the same failure that
I'm having. Just this morning I heard from a cruiser in Turkey whose
panels appear to have the same failure mode.

All of this is probably moot as I don't believe that anyone carries
Solara panels in the US any more. The USD/Euro ratio has made their
panels way too expensive.

-- Geoff

"plano" wrote in
:

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
... Please identify
makers and vendors for flexible solar panels suitable for a curved
boat deck.

Yes, i know they're less efficient.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

You got me really worried now!
You mention that Solara AG decided to re-open the conversation after your
posting of the problems on the Internet. What was the final outcome of that
or is it still on-going?
Can you say anything more about the "failure" or did the panels simply stop
working? Had you installed them with a Solara regulator? Which model do you
have and does it have an inline tube with a protective circuit? Did you stay
within the maximum bending curve?

My panels work fine and are very efficient, but there was a practical
problem with the installation. I have model SM160M. The tube with protective
circuit required a big hole in the deck to feed it through. The installation
manual states (literally): "Do not cut this protective circuit off the cable
and do not shorten the cable! Otherwise the warranty ends immediately". I
cut the cable anyway and reconnected under deck. It was either that or
drilling a 3/4" hole in the deck to feed the tube through. I think they are
nervous about cutting the cable because if any light falls on the panel
while the cable is cut, the shorting will damage the panel. I shielded the
panel from light and as an extra precaution I carefully cut open the
insulation and then cut wire by wire, rather than a cutting the cable in one
go. I will probably have a problem if it ever comes to a warranty claim, but
from what you're saying I will have a problem anyway.

Plano

.. .

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
... Please identify
makers and vendors for flexible solar panels suitable for a curved
boat deck.

Yes, i know they're less efficient.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

At this point Solara AG has offered to provide me with new panel(s), but
that offer came before Christmas and nothing has transpired since. The
reason that I said "panel(s)" is because both of my panels failed and
they've only offered to replace 1. I'm trying to work that issue, but
it's days and days between e-mail replies. I have to pay 50% of the
shipping, which works out to $130 for me. I have no problem with that.

Both panels suffered the same failure. Basically they simply stop
outputting any voltage. One panel is completly dead and the other will
output first thing in the morning unit it gets warm. Then it simply
stops outputting. I suspect that thermal heating is causing a contact
to break somewhere. I think that it's in the black connector, which
interfaces the panel with the power cable, but I don't want to go
tampering with that as I might void any possible warranty.

I utilize a MorningStar TriStar regulator. I don't know what you're
talking about regarding the protective circuit and cable length. You
can find a copy of the SM225M installation manual he

http://www.solarlink.de/PDF-Files/So...gSM_60_bis_225
_englisch.pdf

When the panels worked, they worked great. I was very happy with them.
The issues came when I had a problem and tried to get replacement
panels. Hopefully yours will work just fine and you'll never be in this
predicament.

-- Geoff

"plano" wrote in news:ep0rm6$odc$1
@lust.ihug.co.nz:

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
... Please
identify makers and vendors for flexible solar panels suitable
for a curved boat deck.

Yes, i know they're less efficient.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Is there a possibility the failure is due to too much bending, in
combination with heat?
I must have purchased my panels later than you, because in the instructions
that were included with mine it says "From now on, the following module
types will be fitted with the protective circuit at the end of the cable:
SM120M, SM160M and SM225M. Types SM40M, SM60M and SM80M are unchanged.
You will probably also have to drill bigger holes for the tube when your
replacement panel(s) arrive. Hopefully the whole warranty issue works out
allright for you.

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
... Please
identify makers and vendors for flexible solar panels suitable
for a curved boat deck.

Yes, i know they're less efficient.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I followed the installation instructions that came with the panel and I
kept the bend less than 3cm across the panel. If and when I get new
panels, I think that I will utilize some kind of spacer to further
reduce the bend.

I am quite interested in what this "protective device" is. The only
thing that I can think of is a diode, which I definately don't want in
the circuit due to the voltage drop. If it's something other than that,
I think that I'd just splice it into the cables instead of trying to
pass it through the existing hole.

-- Geoff

"plano" wrote in
:

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
... Please
identify makers and vendors for flexible solar panels suitable
for a curved boat deck.

Yes, i know they're less efficient.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I'm sure it is not a simple diode. The tube is too bulky for that and Solara
would not reduce the performance of their panels in such a way. The tube
with the "protective circuit" inside is moulded to the cable and Solara says
cutting it off voids the warranty. I'll be interested to hear how you will
resolve this.