posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Heart EMS-1800

I was given a Heart EMS-1800 Inverter that had had the 12v polarity
reversed. It does not work now of course, but is it repairable?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Victor MacQuarrie wrote in
:

I was given a Heart EMS-1800 Inverter that had had the 12v polarity
reversed. It does not work now of course, but is it repairable?

Right across the battery terminals you MAY find a great big diode that is
supposed to protect it from reverse polarity by blowing the fuse. The
cathode will be hooked to the + (red) terminal, the anode hooked to the -
(black) terminal. These diodes act just like a short circuit to the
input if it's hooked up backwards, tripping the breaker or fuse it's
SUPPOSED to be hooked to the battery through.

However, without the benefit of a circuit protection device hooked
straight to the battery by some stupid, the diode will fuse itself into a
permanent short and burn the circuit open, probably one of the big
printed circuit board traces between the diode and the input terminals.
Replacing the diode and bypassing the burned traces/wires and she's back
in business....(c;

It's worth a look...definately. Heart thinks that thing is made of
Palladium at any boat chandlery. It's not.

Remember, 1,800 watts divided by 13.8 volts = over 130 amps! Wire it
accordingly with 150A cabling and a 150A FUSE!

Larry
--
If we eliminate religion, will they stop murdering each other?