posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default WEFAX

What wefaxs (like PYAA02) should I use while traving from Norfolk,VA to
St Thomas,V.I.

Hanz

posted to rec.boats.electronics

For a list of WEFAX charts available from US sources, check
http://weather.noaa.gov/fax/marine.shtml.

For books discussing marine weather and the use of WEFAX, I would recommend
Weather Predicting Simplified by Mike Carr and Mariner's Weather Handbook by
the Dashews (http://weather.noaa.gov/fax/marine.shtml)

For a quick course on marine weather check with Ocean Navigator Magazine
(www.oceannavigator.com). They frequently offer such a course and I have
found everything they do to be outstanding.

A list of WEFAXs by itself will do you no good if you don't know what they
are telling you. That is as much an art as it is a science and takes some
work to be decent at it. While I would never have pass myself off as a
meteorologist, I have found that learning how to read these charts has given
me a much better safety margin for offshore passages. At the end of the
day, I am responsible for my safe passage, not the guy at the Weather
channel, NOAA, the USCG, or the boat next to me.

Also, if you are planning to make such a passage, will you have marine SSB
on board? If so, you can get the charts through SailMail. If you will have
a satphone available, you can download them over it. Both are faster and
less hassle than grabbing them off the air, although that works fine too.