Charlie Johnson

Default Using JVComm32 to capture wefax

I have just installed JVComm32 and have attempted to capture extremely
strong wefax transmissions...no joy. The radio is an Icom M802; the
computer is a brand new Dell laptop with Windows XP Home. As before, I
connected the output of the earphone jack to the microphone jack on the
laptop, went thru the minimal configuration process in JVComm32, and
expected to see the fax signal on the spectrum display...nothing but noise.

On review, I realized that part of the configuration was to declare which
Com Port is connected to the sound card...since I am using the mic input, I
selected "None".

Any ideas?

sded

To make JVComm32 work with my M802, I had to connect it to the speaker
jack on the chassis, not the headphone jack. Either not enough power or
too much impedance mismatch.
"Doug Dotson" wrote:

Did you go through the Control Panel to enable input
through the mic jack on the Dell?

Doug
s/v Callista

"Charlie Johnson" wrote in message

I have just installed JVComm32 and have attempted to capture extremely
strong wefax transmissions...no joy. The radio is an Icom M802; the
computer is a brand new Dell laptop with Windows XP Home. As before, I
connected the output of the earphone jack to the microphone jack on the
laptop, went thru the minimal configuration process in JVComm32, and
expected to see the fax signal on the spectrum display...nothing but

noise.

On review, I realized that part of the configuration was to declare which
Com Port is connected to the sound card...since I am using the mic input,

selected "None".

Any ideas?

Meindert Sprang

"sded" wrote in message
To make JVComm32 work with my M802, I had to connect it to the speaker
jack on the chassis, not the headphone jack. Either not enough power or
too much impedance mismatch.

I would say whatever output you use, speaker or headphone, it will
completely overdrive the mic input on the PC. Use a Line input.

Meindert

Chuck Baier

Charlie, You need to connect the input to the computer to a com port.
This must be a serial port or a pcmcia serial card set up as a com
port. You can use a USB connection but you will need a USB to serial
adapter and software. I don't believe you can make a com port read on
you microphone jack on your computer. Chuck

"Charlie Johnson" wrote in message ...
I have just installed JVComm32 and have attempted to capture extremely
strong wefax transmissions...no joy. The radio is an Icom M802; the
computer is a brand new Dell laptop with Windows XP Home. As before, I
connected the output of the earphone jack to the microphone jack on the
laptop, went thru the minimal configuration process in JVComm32, and
expected to see the fax signal on the spectrum display...nothing but noise.

On review, I realized that part of the configuration was to declare which
Com Port is connected to the sound card...since I am using the mic input, I
selected "None".

Any ideas?

Doug Dotson

COM ports have nothing to do with it. The raw audio comes in
through the mic or line input and JVComm32 demodulates it in
software.

Doug

ps: Chuck? Sea Trek? Were you at Oak Harbor last summer?

"Chuck Baier" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Chuck Baier

Doug, Yes we were at Oak Harbor. Now in the Florida Keys. I did set up
JVComm32 and ran it for a short period. It is my understanding that it
can be set up to run in a variety of configurations. We ran it through
a serial port on a pcmcia card. Chuck

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message ...
[...]

Chuck Baier

Charlie, This is from their web site:

Currently, JVComm32 runs with standard 16 bit sound cards, the EasyDSP
interface by Ulrich Bangert, DF6JB (transmit and receive), the PTC-II
DSP multimode PACTOR-Controller by SCS (receive/transmit) and the
HariFax IV interface

(Chuck Baier) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Mark Reichow

Charlie, You don't need anything other than your sound card in your
computer to set up JVComm. If you have a TNC such as an SCS-PTCIIe,
you could certainly use that, but it's not necessary. Since you have
a strong signal already, you're half way there. In JVComm's
configuration area, you'll have to set the interface type to "sound
card". Then you'll have to go into your computer software audio
contols and turn on the "line in" or "microphone" input and adjust the
slider up until you see a signal in the display in JVComm. Since
there are many different brands and models of sound card used in
laptops, each one appears a little different in Windows, but the basic
contols are pretty much the same. Hope this helps.

Mark
S/V Shooting Star