posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default what size shunt do I need?

On a more important note:
A 70Amp alternator is undesized for charging a 220Ah house bank and
will never fully charge the bank, which will lead to premature battery
failure.

ondawada wrote:
Ahoy, what size shunt (can I make one?) do I need for this gauge?
Specs:
D.C. Ammeter - range to 75 amps
Triplett Corp.
Hendricks Electric Inc.
Sticker on the back says:
EIL
Cat: 321T
RGE: 50 MVDC
SCL: 0-50 ?ADC (one of the letters is rubbed out, MADC?)
I have a 70A alternator and 220AH house battery capacity. I'd like to
do this myself if I can. I have a small shunt from a 12v battery
charger but I don't think that will work. If the correct answer is
"you need a 50mv, 70A shunt", where do I get one? Lot's of people
selling 100A, 500A etc for solar pannels. Thanks for your time.

On 14 Aug 2006 03:32:11 -0700, "nollaigoc" wrote:

On a more important note:
A 70Amp alternator is undesized for charging a 220Ah house bank and
will never fully charge the bank, which will lead to premature battery
failure.

I initially read your name a No Logic which is appropriate as there is
no logic to your reply!

I have a 60A alternator which happily fully charges my 330AH domestic
set under my normal cruising pattern.
Charging batteries is dependent upon three parameters, the voltage,
the current available,and the time,availabl,e saying that a 70A
alternator will not charge fully is nonsense without knowing the other
two parameters!

Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"nollaigoc" wrote in news:1155551531.114340.24170
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

On a more important note:
A 70Amp alternator is undesized for charging a 220Ah house bank and
will never fully charge the bank, which will lead to premature battery
failure.

Where do we FIND these guys??!! A 10A battery charger, hell even a 2A
battery charger will charge a 660AH bank of beasts! It just takes
longer....

The slower you charge them...the BETTER they charge as the chemical
reaction to charge them is a slow process, itself.

As long as his load is less than 70A, which I'm sure it's much less, those
little 220AH batteries will charge just fine.

NOONE CAN CHARGE A LEAD ACID BATTERY IN 20 MINUTES NO MATTER HOW BIG THE
ALTERNATOR IS! The chemistry is just too slow for this old wives tale.

Geez.....

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.