posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Using AIS receiver on Garmin ChartPlotters

Anybody using it? Any comments about? I am thinking to change my 276C
for a 3005/3205 IF the AIS support is good enough.
Thanks

Pascal

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Thanks,

The display of Ships Info is OK? It displays the Dynamic and Static
Info too? What are the ships data displayed? What model of Garmin
plotter you have? There is good documentation on the units manual
about the AIS support?

Thanks again

Pascal

escreveu:

Itīs OK with the exception that it doesnt work in "course up" mode. The
AIS ships and vectors always seem to treat the map as "north up",
making the boats go sideways on the map in "course up" mode. A
ridiculus bug that must be embarrasing to Garmin...

Lasse

Pascal skrev:

Anybody using it? Any comments about? I am thinking to change my 276C
for a 3005/3205 IF the AIS support is good enough.
Thanks

Pascal

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Thank You very much Lasse, very good information.

best regards

Pascal

escreveu:

The model is 3010C and it's connected to a Navman G-Pilot to give
heading data at 10Hz.

The Documentation is sketchy at best and only covers installation and
how to turn AIS vectors on/off.
The functionallity hovever is better than the manual and is a valuable
navigational aid here in Gothenburg.

My boat is in a marina in the middle of Gothenburgs harbur, so at any
given time i can have 20+ AIS ships on the screen using 0.3 mile scale.
Tugs, pilot boats, HSS ferrys and so on with most of them moored but
often 5-10 on the move.

The AIS ships turn out as red icons, with the same shape as "own ship",
Vectors indicate speed, course and ROT. If you click on the icon of a
ship all AIS data is shown (given that the AIS reciver extracts the
data) in a list for that target. Lost targets is shown with a crossed
over icon, and are handeld properly. SAR aircrafts does not seem to be
displayed ( my marina is close to Sweden Rescue.) but i have to verify
that to be sure. The AIS icons can bee seen with or without a black
border, the mening of this is still unclear to me.

Lasse

Pascal skrev:

Anybody using it? Any comments about? I am thinking to change my 276C
for a 3005/3205 IF the AIS support is good enough.
Thanks

Pascal

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Are you using Garmin Radar? If so, do you like it?
Lee Haefele
Ithaca, NY
oups.com...

Pascal skrev:

Anybody using it? Any comments about? I am thinking to change my 276C
for a 3005/3205 IF the AIS support is good enough.
Thanks

Pascal

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Really no need to go for the GMR 41 since its basically the same as GMR
21 but with higher power. It is only in rare circumstances you will be
able to benefit from that power, as far as I can tell. Not that the
difference in cost is that big. I recently received my GMR 21 and it is
huge compared to the simrad I have used before. Hopefully better though
because the simrad was just crap.

Planning to by a GMR 41. If it does what the manual says ( Donīt care
about the MARPA stuff as it probably won't ever work in a small boat
like mine.) and Garmin fixes the AIS bug in "Couse up" mode it should
be OK. It would be nice to now the manufacturer of the radar antenna.

Lasse

Lee Haefele skrev:

Are you using Garmin Radar? If so, do you like it?
Lee Haefele
Ithaca, NY
groups.com...

David Rinnan wrote:
Really no need to go for the GMR 41 since its basically the same as GMR
21 but with higher power. It is only in rare circumstances you will be
able to benefit from that power, as far as I can tell. Not that the
difference in cost is that big. I recently received my GMR 21 and it is
huge compared to the simrad I have used before. Hopefully better though
because the simrad was just crap.

Yup. My reason to go for a 4KW radome was not so much power (range) but
the narrower beam that goes with a bigger radome. In the case of the
Garmin, the 2KW is the same size and thus has the same beamwidth.

In other words, your capacity to separate out nearby targets (like
multiple ships, buoys, harbor entrances) is way better with a large
receiver.

Let us know how your GMR 21 fares.

--
Kees