posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default New WiFi Adapter

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:07:31 -0400, "Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at
gmail dotcom wrote:

However, my goal has been to be able to do this wirelessly. That is, not
running antenna cable or ethernet from my computer to the top of the mast.

Skip, won't you need to run power wiring up the mast at the very
least, even if you can find the right type of repeater/bridge that you
are looking for?

If so, I'd just go with Cat-5 cable up the mast, and a POE (Power Over
Ethernet) device.

The unit which I just purchased, and am getting really good results
with, is a USB device which gets its power via the USB port and cable.
It is feeding a 9 db omni vertical which is relatively near a lot of
other "stuff" including a mast, 2 radar scanners, hoisting boom with
tackle, 2 VHF antennas, a second WiFi antenna, and a SSB antenna.
Even with all that, I am getting very good coverage.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Hi, Wayne, and thanks for the note. To simplify, I'll clip mostly....

gmail dotcom wrote:

However, my goal has been to be able to do this wirelessly. That is, not
running antenna cable or ethernet from my computer to the top of the mast.

I'll have to power the unit(s) one way or the other. My goal was to be
untethered; power doesn't need my computer.

However, I have some doubt that it really can be done - despite the
folks over in alt.internet.wireless which has been very vocal in (well
one of them, anyway) saying that it can be done with exactly the gear I
have, including one who's done it multiple times for things like ski
resorts (put the gear on the top of the mountain).

I've sort of been nibbling around the edges of success but always get
bitten back by either failure to communicate (can't configure once
unhooked from ethernet) or IP conflicts.

If I have to go with a wire of some sort, I'm happy with the
directional results, over an active USB extension, of my Hawking unit
which I hang under my dodger. I'm not at all happy with the run/route,
but it's ok for on the hard where I'll still be for several/many weeks.

So, perhaps some weatherproof omnidirectional unit over usb would
suffice if I have to give up. I wish there were some outfit which made
an active usb cable in a single jump. I'm not happy about the thought
of daisy chaining the requisite 5 of them together to put it at the top
of the mast. OTOH, if I don't have to go to the top, and can make it so
I just don't hide directly behind the mast, perhaps I could get away
with putting it out the back. That would only be ~40 or so run, but
getting the wire (without building the cable in situ) through the arch
and back to the nav would be challenging at best, and perhaps
impossible, as we've got an awful lot going there already, and it's
only a 2" tube in the legs...

So, what name/number product do you have?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On 31 Jul 2006 07:26:26 -0700, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

So, what name/number product do you have?

http://wlanparts.com/product/NUB-362EXT

http://tinyurl.com/s6vkg

and

http://tinyurl.com/owcvz

WiFi Access Rusty Electronics 11 July 29th 06 06:03 AM
New WiFi Adapter Wayne.B Cruising 10 July 22nd 06 07:30 PM
New WiFi Adapter Wayne.B General 2 July 21st 06 04:31 PM
replacing adapter for notebook unggul Electronics 2 January 28th 06 09:03 AM
Improved WiFi Reception for your Vessel Mic Cruising 6 July 15th 05 11:41 PM