posted to rec.boats.electronics
164fire

Default electrical trouble

Wondering if anyone had any problems with hummingbird wide eye, mine
works fine until I start the boat and then just the depth reading
disappears and as soon as I turn the motor off again it comes back. Any
ideas?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
RW Salnick

164fire wrote:
Wondering if anyone had any problems with hummingbird wide eye, mine
works fine until I start the boat and then just the depth reading
disappears and as soon as I turn the motor off again it comes back. Any
ideas?

sounds like an interferance problem to me... engine electrical noise is
messing up the depthsounder. The noise could be coming down the DC
power leads, in which case either a capacitor or a ferrite bead or both
will fix the problem. The noise could also be entering directly as
radio waves, in which case you must stop it at the source.

I am assuming you have a gas engine, and an inboard. Do yo have
resistor plugs? Supression spark plug wires? Is there a capacitor on
the alternator output?

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle